|| Prologue ||

* * * * *

A few centuries ago, somewhere in the area that now lies around the current day border of the Indian states of Gujarat and Rajasthan.

* * * * *

The bullock cart seemed to be lurching at an agonisingly slow pace up the mountain. One of the wheels creaked every thirty-one seconds. The ride was very bumpy, and the passengers silently jostled against each other in the crowded vehicle. And yet, the discomforts did not register as they fervently thanked the gods for having given them a chance to escape.

As one of the travellers drew the rear curtain away just a little, a young girl of about fourteen glanced at the village fading in the distance. Wisps of dark hair, which had escaped from her long unkempt braid, framed her face. Her usually big, twinkling honey-brown eyes had turned into narrow swollen slits from the countless tears shed. 

For many years now, she had daydreamed of faraway lands and life outside the cocoon where she had morphed from a babe to an adolescent. But the journey, when she had finally embarked on it, was nothing less than a nightmare.

The thick columns of smoke rising from the foothills cast a cloud of gloom over the small entourage consisting of three carts and a trailing dog that had refused to leave his owner's side. It was evident that they had evaded confrontation with the enemy just in the nick of time. She knew that the destruction of her home would be seared in her mind forever. In that moment, the uncertainty of the future didn't dawn on her - only the loss of the past and present gripped her tender heart.

As the path took a sharp turn, her last view was of a dull sun in a cloudy sky, proclaiming the arrival of dismal times for the habitants of her homestead. Though the sun would shine upon her thousand times more, it's blazing heat would never thaw a part of her heart that froze in that moment.

The final goodbye to her home was far too abrupt and silent sobs shook her awhile. Slumping against the woman next to her, she mournfully muttered "Maa-sa..."

Chandra silently pulled the trembling girl closer, in what she hoped was a comforting embrace, for she did not have any actual words of comfort to offer. Life, as they knew it, was over. Peering at the empty, winding path behind them, she took heart in the thought that, at least, they hadn't been followed. She prayed that they would reach the hamlet, where she hoped to find refuge, before nightfall.

As the curtain once again fell in place, her eyes drifted to the sniffling girl. Patting her head, Chandra tried to assure her in a quivering voice "Don't worry... I will keep you safe." And then lowering her voice, she almost whispered "Just don't forget what we discussed last night. No revealing to anyone who we are... or where we come from!" When the girl stayed silent, tilting her face upwards, Chandra asked her, voice taut "Hari, do you understand??"

Hari nodded almost imperceptibly.

Pulling her knees closer, she rested her head on them, hoping the motion would lull her to sleep. She wished for oblivion, just for a little while, so she could pretend that the terror of the last few days had never happened.

But it never came.

All the way to the next hamlet, her mind was filled with a kaleidoscope of vivid images - her village, mostly consisting of women and children with the men off to battle, in an uproar. Most of them had been rushing around like headless chickens, not sure if they should stay put or attempt an escape. But how is one supposed to tie the lives of their family in a bundle and walk away? How can one decide if leaving their home, land, and cattle behind is the key to survival? And if they returned from the war, where would your men search for you? In many households the young mothers wished to flee, wanting to save their children, but the elderly dug in their feet, not wanting to abandon the homes they had built with their blood and sweat.

The scene in Hari's home had been only a little different. In the beginning, everyone had touched the stonewalls and reassured each other that both their walls and men were strong and would never fall. But as news trickled back from the battlefield and other settlements closer to enemy lines, their confidence slipped, and the fear grew. Finally, the night before, her mother had made the first pragmatic decision of her life.

As soon as they reached the village, Chandra thrust a few coins in the hands of the rider extracting a promise of his lifelong silence. Dusk had just given way to night and only a few young men stood chewing betel leaves under the Peepal tree in the village square.

As she hastily ushered the weary girl away from the inquisitive eyes and towards a hut, Chandra instructed "She is a childhood friend. We will stay with her for a few days only, just till I figure out a few things. Don't say much. I will handle everything. And always keep an eye on our belongings!"

Clutching the bundle in her arms harder, Hari nodded and dragged her feet. The fatigue had finally got to her. The introductions barely registered with her, and she soon fell asleep on a mat in a corner. A few feet away, Chandra shared in hushed tones a greatly altered version of the reason for their journey with her friend's family.

Over the next couple of months this pattern was repeated many times. They spent a lot of time on the road, never staying for long in one place. But they never stayed with any friends or family again.  Not wanting to attract any unnecessary attention, they lived a very frugal life. Often, they ate in places of pilgrimage and stayed in rest houses.

Though not used to such hardships, Hari never uttered a word of discontent. After all, so many sacrifices had been made. All for her. And now she had to prove herself worthy of them.

* * *

(Dear Readers,

As promised, I have started my new story. This story can be read as a stand alone or as a prequel to my already published novel 'The Folly of Love'. 

I am trying my hand at the historical fiction genre for the first time and hence am not sure if I will be able to do it justice. All your feedback will be most welcome! And I would greatly appreciate it if you can spread the word, especially amongst friends who enjoy historical romances. 

Hope you all enjoy this take on our Samaina in a different time and hence with different names! Eagerly waiting for your reactions!

Lots of love always, May)