|| 10 ||

The day following his big realisation, was mostly spent by Vayu wondering how he was going to make her want him.

Ideally, it shouldn't have been a challenge. After all, he was the king and she just a... Paanwali? Or maybe a nanny?? Or is she an aspiring stable girl???

Much to his astonishment, when not travelling, it seemed she liked to spend every minute possible hanging around the horses and the oxen!

But she did not show the slightest inclination to seek his attention. She does not like me?? But how is that even possible?! What sort of man does she dream of, if not a king??

A man wanting to impress a woman usually aspires to become a better man. But Vayu was at a loss; how was he supposed to become more than a King?

Doubts gnawed at him – Maybe I should have sent her some valuable jewels instead of those made of some measly silver... And why did I send her those plain cotton clothes?! Maybe the nice things would have made her more amicable towards me...

It seemed, in trying to snub Chandrika Bai, he had created a much bigger problem for himself.

He briefly wondered if it was too late to gift her things that would make her more eager for his company, but then realised that would defeat the purpose. You want her to want you, not just what you can give her!

When they stopped for lunch that day, he made it a point to saunter over to where she stood discussing something with Shardul.

Nonchalantly, he enquired about his horse "Shardul, Badal seems to be tiring soon these last couple of days. Can you check on him?" "Yes, Raja-sa." Shardul immediately left.

"Khamma Ghani, Raja-sa." Harinakshi greeted him before starting to leave.

Giving her a look-over as he took note of her crumpled, slightly soiled clothes and the messy tendrils escaping from under the odhani drawn over her head, Vayu interjected "Seems like you have been spending so much time grooming the animals that you are barely left with any for yourself."

Understanding that he was pointing out her less than presentable state, she was tempted to give him a sharp reply. But recalling her decision to be polite to him, she responded "Forgive me Raja-sa, but I am not used to bathing in the open. Especially, while strangers stand guard a few feet away."

Then she added, with an impish glint in her eyes, "It must have been nice to make the most of the hospitality of your host the past week. You look very well looked after."

Before he could conjure a reply, she bowed and headed in Kanta's direction. 

As Vayu watched her walk away, he felt like she had handed him just the opportunity he needed.

That evening, they camped when the sun had barely lowered his blazing gaze.

The tents had just been setup when one of the guards arrived with instructions for Harinakshi. Though more than a little surprised both the women followed the messenger away from the camp.

The path led through some woodland till they reached a small creek. The setting was very scenic, but what really caught their eye was a temporary closed space erected at the edge of the water and Vayu standing at some distance.

As they approached him uncertainly, Vayu urged her "Go ahead. You can bathe without the fear of being observed. I will send the men away. Your companion and I will stand guard." Sensing her hesitation, he raised a brow "Surely, you do not consider me a stranger... not after expecting me to eat your jhoota."