Chapter 15

NICK ALLARD

The past few days, I have been trying to avoid contact with Paul. It wasn't because I didn't like him or anything, but that I liked him enough to feel this weird feeling messing up my insides.

He was compelling enough that I had felt guilty with the idea of entertaining him while I was still unsure of what I should do about Callum. I wouldn't be able to give him the type of relationship and feelings that he would be looking for—if he indeed was looking for it.

But more importantly, I was debating within myself. I didn't know what I wanted to do, or what I was supposed to do. I felt it to be weird and unfair for Paul if I didn't settle my feelings. So, when I found out that Callum was driving to New York the moment that we got home, I called his phone the next day. He was in New York by then.

I was seated on the couch with both Kai and Sin who laughed at the funny part of the movie, and yet I couldn't bring myself to focus on the movie. I was on my phone, reading over and over again Paul's message.

Paul: I'm so glad you texted me back. When you get back, then. I'll see you soon.

I had promised him that I'd go out with him when I get back I've been back for two days now and still, I couldn't bring myself to text him and plan for the date that I had promised him. I pressed back, then on Callum's name.

Fuck it. I started typing and then sent the text mindlessly.

Nick: Cal, are you in New York already?

I dropped my phone on the bed and then stared at the movie, my mind afloat that I couldn't understand the dialogue that I was hearing. Looking at Kai and Sin, I remembered Callum's words all too well. Pushing them together would make them even more distant from each other.

I knew Sin would pull away the moment I tell her to go for Kai, it was just in her nature. She needed to decide those things on her own. Kai, I tried once, but he only blushes and looked down, telling me to shut up and mind my own business.

Callum, I don't think that it is possible for them to be more distant from each other. The way that Sin's read rests on Kai's shoulder, the way that their breathing matches, the way that they steal longing glances with each other, the way that they are so close with each other... I don't think that it is possible for them to fall out of love with each other.

I remembered my mom's words once when I heard her teasing Kai. Don't make her wait for too long... You might lose more than a chance. You might lose her.

Somehow, the person that appeared in my mind was the one I didn't expect to. Paul. How long would he possibly wait for me? Has he given up on me? He hasn't texted me since the time that he called. The thought would've continued if it wasn't for the vibrating of my phone.

Callum: Yeah, I am, what's up?

Nick: I just felt like checking up on you...

Callum: I'm great. How are you guys? I'm sorry, I would've stayed longer if Harvard didn't call for the grant that we have been eyeing for quite a while now.

Nick: Can we talk? I just needed something to talk to you about. If you've got time.

Callum: No worries, I've got time. Hold on, I'll call.

It was quick, suddenly his name flashed on my screen... For facetime. I didn't need him to see my face while I talked to him—while I confessed to him. I swiped Answer and then suddenly, his face was on my screen, that handsome and gorgeous face.

"Nick! What's up? You're in the living room?" Callum was too happy. He was in a good mood, maybe I wouldn't have to lose him if I confess. This was a perfect time.