Chapter 43

Olive has a headache.

Not the severe, brain melting kind. One that had been simmering since last night, ebbing and flowing like ripples on the surface of water. It had kept her up nearly all night, tossing and turning while her mind ached and punished her for musing about the events of the day. She wasn't sure why she even had one, just that the bright lights of the shop were forcing her to squint and shade her gaze with her hand while she scribbled in her journal.

She'd just gotten back from handing out candy at her grandfather's house. She liked celebrating the holiday with muggles. They knew what her costume was. That didn't stop her from worrying about George all evening. Her grandfather had noticed her flighty attitude, but had left it alone after muttering something about 'witches.'

"We sold out of pumpkin and candy floss," Olive jumps, glancing up at Jackie like she'd forgotten she was there. Her head throbs slightly, nose crinkling as she registers her employee's words. She raises a brow, asking with surprise, "People like the candy floss flavor?"

Jackie smiles slightly, and Olive feels her cheeks warm. She'd been nervous about that one, unsure that people would like the sugary treat. She had spent long nights figuring out how to charm the texture to pull like the candy and change colors the more you ate. George had enjoyed it quite a bit. Olive's lips twitch slightly.

"I think it's my new favorite," Jackie muses, staring mournfully at the empty glass case. Olive gently nudges the witch, "I'll make more, just for you."

The eye roll sent Olive's way does nothing to tamp out the warmth spreading through her body. Jackie clears her throat, asking, "Anything else then?" Olive grins when her eyes slide down to judge her costume. Jackie hadn't even asked what it was she was wearing. It wasn't easy to tell now. Frank had chewed up one of her wings when she'd been helping her grandfather with the kids in front of his house.

"No," Olive rubs her forehead, fighting a grimace, "Thank you for today, Jackie."

She expects the witch to head towards the door, but she stops and peers at her through narrowed eyes. Olive feels her cheeks grow hot when Jackie warns, "Don't stay up late and make your head—"

"It's fine!" Olive assures, "We're closed tomorrow anyway, remember? I'll get plenty of sleep."

She can tell her most favorite employee doesn't believe her, but Jackie finally sighs and waves before pushing off of the counter and heading towards the door. Olive can't resist yelling, "Love you!"

The door slams shut loudly behind Jackie, leaving Olive to laugh into her hand. She hurriedly finishes up her notes under today's date, pushing on her temple to try and ward away the ache growing behind her eyes.

She sets her planner under the table for tomorrow, grabbing her wand and heading towards the door. She pulls on her long coat, hiding her costume to avoid any stares as she hustles down the street. Her lips pull into a frown when she sees the lights off at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. She chances a knock anyway, the cool air dulling the pulsing ache in her head. She closes her eyes for a minute, inhaling slowly before opening them again and knocking harder on the door.

Her heart sinks when she sees someone that she wasn't exactly looking for walking her way. The door jingles when it opens a crack and Olive says quietly, "Hi, Lee. George here?"

He grimaces, visibly hesitating before saying slowly, "I'd come back tomorrow, love. We've been closed for today."

Hurt causes her throat to close. She knew George would be upset over last night. She'd stayed at the Weasley's until the tension had disappeared long after George had. She stayed and sang for Molly and ate cake even though she liked ice cream better. She sat and played with Teddy, held Victoire while she talked to Fleur. She stayed because she remembered. She remembered their names, registered their faces in her mind. She wanted to keep remembering, even though she could still see the anger on George's face whenever she blinked.