CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

It was already Saturday morning, when I finally regained my consciousness. My mother was sound asleep in an uncomfortable position leaning on my bed. I brushed her hair out of her face with my fingers and stared out the small window. It was quite a cloudy day, so there was little to no light coming in from the window.

I must have fainted again. Maybe I shouldn't have overworked myself at the party last night.

To be entirely honest, I had been overworking myself the whole last week. I didn't want anyone to notice anything off about me so I acted tougher and more excited than I usually did. I had been more active and hanged out with the gang or just with Kegan every single day. And when I went back home for the night, I ended up being so tired and feeling dead. I knew I shouldn't overwork myself and rest more but I was so scared my friends would find out about it.

Just then, my phone vibrated and I took it to check. There were several calls and texts from Kegan which I had missed. I immediately opened the text messages.

From Key

I just got home. Are you still up?

I'm really glad you enjoyed tonight. We all worked really hard to make it the best for you.

Did you sleep yet, my love?

Okay sleep well then. Goodnight and I love you, my sweet Faye.

Good morning, my love. Are you up yet? I miss you already.

Dragonfly? Is everything alright?

I smiled sadly before I replied to him.

To Key

Good morning, Key. Sorry for not replying. I was really tired and fell asleep as soon as everyone left. I was very tired. And my phone was on silent so I didn't hear the calls. I'm so sorry.

From Key

It's okay, love. I'm glad you slept well. What are you doing now? Want to meet up today?

To Key

I'd love to. But I have to help clean the house today. The house is a mess from the party. So, can I make sure first and get back to you later?

From Key

Okay, no worries. Do you need any help cleaning up? I could come over if you want.

To key

No, it's okay. We can manage here. So, I'll text you later, okay? I need to go now. I love you. <3

From Key

Okay dragonfly. See you later. I love you. <3

I sighed and put my phone away when I heard a soft knock on the door and Dr. Serene entered the room. My mother who was asleep, woke up from the sound and she greeted the doctor.

"Dr. Serene, how's Faye? Why did she suddenly faint again?" She asked with concern evident in her tone. I got up and sat on the bed while waiting for her answer. Dr. Serene let out a long sigh before she replied.

"I'm really sorry to say this, but it's not good. It seems like the disease is progressing at a really fast rate. It has only been a week but I can see that it has progressed quite fast from the reports. As I have mentioned last week, HCM shows many symptoms and causes some complications. When she arrived last week, she was already suffering from Arrythmias (abnormal heart rhythms). And when she came in today, I have noticed that her heart muscles have thickened even more causing some blockage in her blood flow. If it continues to progress at this rate, I'm afraid she has about only 2 years left to live unless she gets a new heart. I highly recommend her to fully get admitted into the hospital so I can continue to monitor her status and get her treated here. I'm really sorry."