Arrival

August 8th 1940:

"Mom, I can't go" I said quietly at the dinner table, my mother had just told me i'm being sent off to my grandfathers house to "study". "Y/n it's far to dangerous here, the war is coming closer to London. You're father has already been sent away because of the war, it's for your own safety." My mother sternly said. "You're going.".

And as she had said, I was going. The next morning I had all my stuff packed and was on the train by 9 am. "Goodby Y/n, we'll see each other soon I promise you" my mother said as I hung out the train window to say goodbye. "I hope you're right." I said as my mother gave me one last kiss on the forehead and the train was off.

I spent my time on the train in an empty train car, besides myself, remembering all the times I had when I was young at my grandfathers house. A huge mansion in the country with beautiful gardens and a stream running along the back of the house at the bottom of the hill. My grandfather told me stories of a tree and of this magical place he called Narnia.

I was his only grandchild, the only one to share his stories with. I believed them until I was 13, then I realized that none of it was possible. Still it amazed me the details of the stories and part of me knew that details like those couldn't be made up by the human mind. Always a feeling lingering after I heard those stories.

After long continuous hours on the train it was finally my stop. I grabbed my bags, 2 suit cases, 1 backpack and a purse of sorts and got off. There was basically nothing, only a bench and a small white hut with the paint chipping off.

I soon heard the hooves of a horse and a carriage along with it. It stopped in front of the "train station" with a woman sitting in the drivers seat. "Misses Mcready" I said with a polite tone. "Y/n, your grandfather has been expecting you" she said. I put my bags into the carriage first and then sat down.

It wasn't a long trip back to the house but it was a quiet one. I didn't care for her too much, she was a crabby old woman most of the time. She dropped me off at the front of the house as she went and tied up the horse and put away the carriage. "I'm going to assume you know the rules by now?" She asked before she left. "How could I forget" I said.

I entered the home with my bags in hand and saw my grandfather waiting at the top of the steps. "Y/n" he said with a beaming smile. "Hello Grandfather" I said with the same smile. I put down my bags as he came down and hugged me.

He then picked up my bags and lead me to my room. "Are you going to be telling me about your travels in 'Narnia' again?" I asked sort of sarcastically. "Of course, that is if you still want to hear them" he said as we walked up the steps. "If I recall, last time you called them 'foolish and a waste of time to indulge in such childish things'." He stated making what I said sound a lot smarter then it did.

"I suppose I'm over that now, I said that when I was 14 I think as a 16 year old I've gotten over that" I said with a small smile. "Oh so you believe me?" He asked turning a corner. "I never said I did" I stated catching up. We brought the bags to my room.

The window had the most beautiful view of the yard and the stables. "Let's go take a walk around the garden" Grandpa stated and I followed him out to the garden.

As we walked he told me the stories I'd heard so many times before. "After my mother finished the apple I planted the core in my garden along with burying the rings around it and a tree had grown, it grew to be the same as it's sister tree in Narnia and soon my mother was back to health" he finished. "Why didn't you plant the tree here instead of in London?" I asked.

"I didn't live here at the time, if I did I would've planted it right here" he said referring to where we were standing, in the centre of the garden. "What happened to it, is it still in London?" I asked. "No it got blown over in a storm and got fashioned into a wardrobe, a magical wardrobe" he stated. "We'll where's this magical wardrobe?" I asked as he continued walking. "Somewhere in this house" he said without looking back.

We went back to the house after that and I unpacked all my things. Clothes put away in the dresser, books and school supplies on my desk, shoes in a neat row beside my dresser. All was set.

The next few boring day I went outside and explored the grounds, since I was older I was able to do more on my own. I crossed the stream and explored the forest, I took one of the horses out ridding in the forest, I tried to play cricket to no avail since there was no one else to play with.

Then finally on a windy sunny day I got bored of the outside and decided to explore the inside. "Why don't you try and find the wardrobe today" Grandpa said. "That's just what I was looking for, any hints?" I asked. "It's not on the first floor" is all he said before he went back into his study and closed the door.

"That's it huh?" I said quietly to myself. Challenge excepted old man.