(edited)

Cater was usually a very sound sleeper. In fact, if it weren't for the prospect of his housewarden's incessant lectures on punctuality, he would probably have slept through his alarm every day of the week. Once, even, Trey had to come and actually drag him out of bed after a night of particularly hard partying, as Cater was never one to deprive hosts of their desire to keep the festivities going.

Despite all this, there were exactly two occasions during which Cater actually had failed to sleep soundly.

The first time had been when his sisters had bought him a very large, very pink sheep plushie for his birthday. They had insisted on keeping it above his headboard, so as to give him pleasant dreams of counting sheep. The first night the sheep had been installed, he had shot up out of bed twelve minutes into his slumber, not being able to shake the feeling that the stuffed animal was watching him. Since then, the sheep had found safe haven in his closet, and he had never slept more peacefully.

The second instance of abrupt arousal was that night, about an hour after Idia had left. Cater had been sent to his room by Riddle, who was determined that the party-prone Heartslabyul student get a sound night's sleep at least once a week.

Cater woke up, drenched in a fine film of sweat, the words "IT'S A DATE?!" flying from his lips. When he had initially said the words, he hadn't thought much of them, for surely that was what Idia had been implying, yes? But Cater's dreams had replayed the conversation out, and he was suddenly plagued with the idea that maybe that wasn't exactly what Idia had meant.

What had he said again?

"Funny you say that. As you're um ... 'friend,' I, uh, wanted to repay the favor! By buying you food!"

ASDFGHJKL

NIRAEGHIE/AGI&A

GADFHIPGJAEIO/GHpi%QG

Could Cater have woefully misunderstood him? Idia hadn't dissented toward the plan Cater had made for them to meet at Merchant's Gold for lunch. However, he had been quick to flee the Heartslabyul dorm as soon as he had affirmed the idea with a noncommittal "Oh! Um! Sure!"

By the Queen, this may have been the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to Cater. He didn't consider himself to be easily flustered, but, really, there could be nothing worse than this! Assuming an event was a date when it clearly wasn't? #HumiliationValley. Then again ... "It's a date" was kind of common lingo, wasn't it? Someone could say "Hey, wanna go dig through the trash with me and my buddies?" and you could answer "Sure, it's a date!" without being thought weird, right? Perhaps Idia would have seen the phrase as just ... platonic?

Cater whipped his phone off of his nightstand and opened Discord. This wasn't something to tear his hair out over; he could just ask Idia—in a roundabout way, of course—how he considered their future outing.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

notJustGirls Today at 12:43 AM
heyooo
we still up for tmrw?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Hm, how would he phrase his confusion delicately? In a matter that was nonchalant? Composed? Unconcerned? With an air of finesse befitting someone like him?

A moment's pause brought him an excellent idea. He selected his previous message and clicked the "edit" option that hovered over it. After a quick change, the message now read:

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

notJustGirls Today at 12:43 AM
heyooo
we still up for OUR DATE tmrw? (edited)