Nine

once you find your people, you don't let them go

Stella stretched. She was looking forward to going for a ride. She got ready and promptly skipped down the stairs and sat at the table for breakfast.

"It's been too long since you've been on a horse, hasn't it?" Richard raised his brows as he peered over his newspaper.

"Yes." She chuckled and began to eat her eggs.

"I knew getting you that pony was going to cost me my position in your heart." He winked at her.

"Never, Father." She smiled. "It's been too long since I saw Storm. He'll be chomping at the bit."

"I think Lexi should go on Olympus." Robert hummed.

"He's a big horse," Richard pointed out with a frown.

"But he's the calmest of the lot."

"I suppose that's true." Richard shrugged. "I'll leave it to the experts, just please don't bring anyone back broken."

"Who are we breaking?" Alastair sauntered into the dining room.

"No one," Richard scowled at him. "I don't want anyone broken."

Alastair raised his hands. "Don't worry Mr Callahan I'll make sure they're back in one piece. I think the only one at risk of being broken would be dear Gabrielle. She's a decent rider, but my goodness she has the record for falling."

"She would fall from a horse even if they were standing still," Robert laughed. "I'm still in awe of the fact she hasn't broken a bone."

"Mr O'Hara, would you like some breakfast?" Beth smiled at the lively blue-eyed man.

"I would love some eggs and toast if it's on the menu this morning?" He helped himself to a seat at the dining table.

"Absolutely, Arthur's putting together the rest of the plates. Adding one more won't be a problem." Beth grinned at Alastair. She definitely had a favourite. 

There was something about his dark blue eyes and fair, sandy hair she couldn't say no to. Beth was a sucker, but she would never admit it.

Lexi appeared in the dining room in jeans and sneakers. She blushed at the sight of Stella, Robert and Alastair in breeches, polo shirts and long boots.

Stella smiled at her. "Hurry, come have breakfast." She gestured to her seat where food was waiting.

Robert pursed his lips at her footwear. "We should get her a pair of boots. Stella, do you have any spares?"

"What size are you, Lexi?" Stella asked before nibbling on piece of toast.

"Eight and a half," she murmured.

"I'm a size smaller." Stella frowned. "I think Gabrielle is an eight and a half though. I'll ask her and see if she has any spare jodhpur boots." She pulled out her phone and sent off a text.

"You have surprisingly small feet for your height," Alastair raised his brows and muttered.

"Why does it matter?" Richard muttered with a frown.

"Safety," Alastair, Robert and Stella replied.

Alastair chuckled. "Does this mean we're triplets?"

Stella laughed. "Lexi, this is our good friend Alastair O'Hara."

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lexi." He grinned. "I've been friends with this lot since the beginning of time. I can tell you all their dirty little secrets."