one

Robin

Robin

"Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance..."

-

This day had gone horribly. I guess everyday went horribly now, but this was different. Jenner had been experimenting in one of the labs, and while I knew what he was experimenting on, I never inserted myself. I found out that he had been in there when I heard one of the alarms go off from inside.

I quickly made my way outside the door, knowing that I would have to wait here as I couldn't go in at the moment.

"NO!" Jenner yelled from inside the door, forcing me to wonder if he had hurt himself.

I chewed on my bottom lip, my pale fingers coming up to pull at it slightly as I waited for Jenner to exit. And he did, completely soaked with a large towel wrapped around his entire body, "You okay?" I asked, even though I knew it was a dumb question.

Jenner just looked at me and shook his head, walking away in silence. Although he didn't say anything at first, he gestured for me to follow, "TS-19 samples were destroyed...I made an accident, had to decontaminate." He explained briefly, causing me to frown. Those samples had become extremely hard, and emotionally damaging to get, especially for Jenner.

"I'm sorry, I know how important those samples were to you...especially since..well-" I was cut off by the look Jenner gave me, growing silent. I'd known this man for over a year, but he still managed to give me the creeps at times. Yet, here I was, having kept myself in this underground prison with him, "We'll get more, it's just a matter of time." I told him.

"Maybe. I'm going to take an actual shower, get dressed...I'll talk to you later." Jenner stated quietly before his taller frame walked away, leaving me standing alone in this long, empty hallway.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, turning around so I could head to my room...or, the room that had become my bedroom when I decided to stay here. It wasn't perfect, but it was away from the infected, and until Jenner and I could sort out how to fix this thing, that was important to me.

I never expected to become a full time resident of the CDC when I nailed my job here, but I also guess no one really expected the world to go to shit and for your friends to turn into infected killers...the universe has a weird way of telling you to fuck off.

I walked into my room, closing the door behind me with a soft thud. I walked over to my bed, sitting down before pulling my red hair into a messy bun on the top of my head. I grabbed the pair of sweatpants that I had set on the bed earlier and traded them with my slacks I was wearing at the moment, letting the warmth of the fleece interior run the length of my legs. I switched my sweater out for a t-shirt as well, throwing the dirty laundry into the corner of my room. I simply didn't care about it at the moment.