Chapter 1

"Kimiko. Kimiko, it's time to leave." My social worker Hannah said to me as she placed her hand gently atop my right shoulder. I gave a small nod in response and waited as I felt Hannah walk away and towards the car. I took in a shaky breath and forced a wavering smile onto my face. My eyes began to once again fill with tears but I refused to let them fall, father hated it when I cried. "I have to leave now dad. I'm finally meeting mothers family in Japan." I whispered, trying to hide the sadness that laced every word that escaped my lips. "I wish you were both coming with me. I'll make sure to tell you everything that happens so you don't need to worry about me. Just enjoy your rest with mum. I'll come back soon to see you both. I love you." With those final three words I laid the carnations I had been holding on top of the two graves I was crouched in front of. I placed my fingertips to my lips and placed a small kiss on each tombstone. "Bye." I whispered before standing up and dashing towards the car where Hannah stood.

Hannah opened up the rear door for me, letting me climb in first. I'd only known Hannah for a month or so but she knew how to read me and she knew I hated showing others my weaknesses. Hannah let me hide my pained face by letting me just dive straight into the back of the car. Once Hannah climbed in the back next to me the driver began to drive to our next destination, the airport. "Your flight leave in just over an hour. I'll walk you to the gate and I have been informed that your uncle will be waiting for you on the other side." Hannah began to talk to me, trying to lighten the thick atmosphere and heavy heart I was carrying.

"I'll fly out in about three months or so to come and check up on you. I'm not sure when but I'll contact you closer to the time." Hannah continued to talk all the way to the airport and I continued to listen. The drive from the cemetery to the airport was roughly half an hour. I refused to look out the window and instead look down and stared at my chipped nails and scratched skin. The marks of the recent events still were etched into my body and mind. At night I am plagued with the memories of the accident. My left index finger began to tantalisingly trace the small scratches that ran over my right hand.

I jumped a little when the car suddenly came to a standstill. "We're here." Hannah said and she glanced at me with a small smile. This is it. My final few moments in my home for some time. I thought as I pushed myself to leave the car.

Everything from that moment onwards was a blur. People was dashing passed my trying to make their flight. Children laughed in excitement of their nearing holiday. People cried as they said goodbye and wished luck to their departing loved ones. I felt so isolated and alone surrounded by all these people. My body was numb and I wished I could feel everything that all these people were feeling.

For all I felt at that moment was suffocating despair.

When I began to pay attention to everything around me I noticed Hannah had dragged me all the way to the departure gate. "So, this is it." She turned to me with a bright smile that didn't reach her ember eyes. Her dark eyes held a layer of sadness to them. "Thank you for everything you've done for me up to this moment." I returned the smile and stuck out my hand out. Hannah looked down out my outstretched hand and laughed. She wrapped a hand around my wrist and pulled me into a hug. "Good Luck out there Kimiko. I'll see you soon and remember to try and make friends. No matter what happens the world isn't as bad as you may think so don't let this sadness swallow up your future." Hannah choked out as tears began to swell in her eyes.

Hannah wasn't just my social worker but she was a friend of my family. Her and my mum were so close before she fell sick ten years ago. When mum passed Hannah still kept in contact with me and dad. She was like an older sister to me. Now I had to leave her. Her and my two closest friends.

The thought of Caleb and Francis finding out that I've already left fills my already sunken heart fall a little more. Those two are the closest friends I have. I can't just leave without saying goodbye, they'd never forgive me. With that thought I pull away from Hannah and ask, "How long until I have to board the plane?"