Chapter 10

I awoke to being lightly shaken.

"Scarlet... it's time to wake up, babe..."

"No... I don't want to..." I mumbled, "Grace, I have the day off, so you don't need to drive me..."

"Scarlet, come on, time to get up..."

I opened my eyes. Mark was looking down at me, standing by my side of the bed. I sat up and looked around, re-registering everything around me before I realized what was going on.

"What's happening?" I asked, trying not to get distracted by Marks very well toned and muscled mostly-naked body.

Mark must have seen where my eyes were going, since he laughed and said, "We have to get the negotiations down, so we've agreed to meet Sid with our hostages and make some deals."

"Sounds like a plan," I said as I got out of bed, "Do you need me for it?"

"Nope." said Mark, "But I wanted to let you know what was going to happen, didn't want to just leave a note for you. I'm going with Becky and Lisa, while the rest of you hang back with Simon and Agent Palmer."

"Why aren't we going?" I asked, "Wouldn't it be safer to stick together?"

"There's no doubt in my mind Gwen and Sid have something planned," said Mark, "So it's better if you stay here, where we know it's safe. Trust me babe, I want you to come along, but your safety is my top priority."

"I know that," I said, "But what about your safety, Mark?"

"I'll be just fine." said Mark as he leaned in and kissed me on the cheek, "They can try, but no one's going to take me down."

"I believe that." I said as the two of us started getting dressed, "But you better not get yourself hurt."

"You know I won't babe," said Mark as he slipped on a tank top, "I'll do just fine. And when we get back here, we might finally be free."

"I can't wait for that." I said. Mark smiled at me and then he walked out the door, leaving me to go shower, then finish getting dressed in a black tank top and blue jeans, complete with my red jacket tied around my waist. With that, I went downstairs, just in time to catch Becky and Lisa heading out the door.

"Good luck guys," I said, "Make sure you come back, okay?"

"Everything's gonna be just fine," said Becky, "Hey, take care of Simon while we're gone, okay?"

"I was gonna ask that," I said, "Why isn't he coming with you guys?"

"Considering we're not just dealing with Gwen, but also Marther," said Lisa, "It just makes sense that Simon doesn't come along. He could easily end up complicating things."

"I mean, makes sense." I said, "We'll be good while you're gone."

"You better." said Becky, "Catch you when we get back."

With that, and Mark joining them at the bottom of the steps, they left, closing the door behind them. It was strange to feel the house as empty as it was when I first arrived - though it had been only two days, it felt like it had been a lifetime.

"Scarlet?"

Brandon's voice was calling me from the kitchen. When I got there, everyone else had beaten me to the room, waiting for Simon to finish making breakfast. I took a seat between Brandon and Dustin, across from Palmer. Grace, Paige, and Elliot came in just after me and soon enough, we were all eating breakfast together.

"Did everyone sleep well?" Paige asked, breaking the silence of everyone eating.

"Doing pretty good," said Grace, "How about you, Scarlet?"