Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Survive

No matter how hard I tried to explain that I never wanted that to happen, nobody seemed to listen. They silenced me. They showered me resentments and agitation. And I accepted it all.

"You took advantage of his love for you! You are a kid?! No, you are a stupid kid!" sigaw ni Zage sa akin.

It was okay, but it hurt. I was young, but the pain was there.

"Stop it..." It was Rhione. The one who always try to come in between. Pero alam ko rin na... nagalit siya sa akin.

Sinundan nila ako sa chapel ng hospital sa araw na 'yon. I wanted to pray. I wanted to ask if I could trade my life for Sean. Kasi nasasaktan din ako na nasasaktan sila dahil si Sean 'yong nawala.

I realized... I was special, but of course, there's someone more important than me. It was Sean. Ilang years nilang nakasama si Sean kumpara sa akin.

I was crying. Mag-isa ko lang sa harap nila. Takot ang nakabalot sa akin. They were so mad.

"Tang ina, Rhi!" Doon na umiyak si Zage. "Wala na si Sean. Sean is gone because of that girl!"

"He saved his sister, and there's nothing wrong with that!"

"And you believe her?! Do you fucking believe her? If I know, she's just fabricating stories. Ang akala niya hindi tayo magagalit sa kan'ya. Hell! I fucking despise you! And I don't think I will forgive you!"

Umiyak na rin si Rhi. It looked like she's confused. Siguro naniwala rin siya na gumagawa lang ako ng kwento.

I told them someone wanted to come after us. Sinabi ko rin na hindi ko alam na ipupunta ako roon ni Sean, pero walang naniwala sa akin. They believed otherwise. That I dragged Sean on that place. That I used my spoiled card to summon him. So he'd do what I want to happen. Hindi naman gano'n ang nangyari.

It's breaking me since I'm the only one who knows the truth. No one will trust you in the end. You'll try all you can to persuade them of the truth, but they'll never believe you.

It was okay for me. It was death, not just a simple misunderstanding. If I were in their shoes, I'd probably not believe in a heartbeat, too. 

"I swear... I tried to stop Kuya---"

"Stop lying. We are aware that you will always push for what you desire," said Tiago. He was calm, but I know he was seething in anger. 

I sobbed and stepped back. The reality hit me. Wala na along matatakbuhan. Sean is gone, and Zoren is grieving. I don't know where he is now. I am scared to see him, too. He might... push me like the others. 

Tumakbo ako palabas. Ashanti shouted for my name, but my eagerness to run away got the best of me. They're hurting, and I know, the pain is getting intensified every time they glance at me. 

I found myself in a gallery. It was a small room with abstract paintings. Those pieces complement the things I've been going through. Hard to understand. 

I was crying when I saw Maddizon walking slowly, eyes on her feet. She looked exhausted. Describing her, she was losing herself. Hindi ko alam, pero parang ang bigat ng awra na dala niya. It seemed like... there was something more than my brother's death. 

Gradually, her eyes met mine. Her tears started pooling down like falls. I was scared, but I was still hoping she'd be the one to comfort me. I was hoping she'd believe me because aside from my brothers, she knows me better.  She knows Sean better. I thought it would be easier for her to believe my explanation. But no.