CHAPTER 3

"Aapko lagta hai zindagi mei bas aisho- aaram hi sab kuch hai. Haina papa?" Monami asked softly.

Dr. Mahajan nodded adamantly.

"Par papa, mumma toh mujhse bhi zyada rich background se aayi thi na? Unhone bhi toh army services join ki na? Unhone aapke initial years mei, when you had nothing, saath diya, bina ye dekhe ki will you even be able to provide the luxuries that she's always got?"

"And now look where she is! She's dead dammit!" Dr. Mahajan yelled very loud.

"And I sometimes wish it was me, papa."

This last line shook everyone to the core. They all stood frozen, staring at Monami with wide, teary- eyes. No body dared to move.

Karan willed his tears away. He had to stay strong for her. His Monami. He knew she's very strong but if she needed him, he'd be by her side in a second.

He came forward towards Monami, took her hand in his, made her look at him and shook his head. He then proceeded to wipe the tears that had flown down her cheeks.

"Aisi baat mat karo Monami, please," Karan slowly said, so that only she and Siddharth, who was near her, still in shock, could hear him.

His actions were rewarded by a very sad smile by his woman. She covered his hands by her second one and squeezed Karan's hand lightly. It was enough to let him know that she'd be okay. She's not right now, but she soon will be.

Karan sighed, looked her deep into the eyes and slowly took out his hand. No matter how much he wished she didn't have to, she did have to fight this battle. He took a few steps backwards but decided to stay beside her only.

Next, Sid looked into his friend's eyes and what he saw there made his heart swell with pride. He only saw confidence there. Monami nodded slightly at him, letting him know she'd be alright and he too, took a place beside Karan.

All this while, Dr. Mahajan was glaring at his daughter angrily.

"What. Did. You. Say?!" Dr. Mahajan asked, in a threatening voice.

Monami took a deep breath and turned back to her dad.

"I sometimes wish it was me, papa," she repeated. "I wish mumma ki jagah, mai chali gai hoti."

"HOW DARE YOU?! " Dr. Mahajan's anger peaked.

"Papa, I was just 5 jab mumma shaheed hui thi. Mujhe nahi pata tha ki shaheed hona kya hota hai. Bas I knew this much ki uss din ke baad mai mumma ko kabhi nhi dekh paaungi. Phir bhi, I used to think ki mumma nahi hain toh kya hua? Papa hai mere. He'd be there for me. He'd be my mumma and papa both. But you know what papa, aapne uss din se mere papa hona bhi band kar diya," Monami said, a few tears flowing down her cheeks.

Once more, everyone present there grew teary-eyed.

But Dr. Mahajan was in his own world.

"Monami!" Dr. Mahajan yelled, again. "Band karo apni bakwaas ab!"

Monami wiped her tears away. She couldn't fall weak today.

"Bakwaas nahi kar rhi hun papa. You shut yourself in a room for three days. Uss samay toh mujhe nahi samajh aata tha na ki you missed mumma too? You know mujhe kya lagta tha? That mujhse hi koi galti ho gai jo mere papa mujhse bat nahi kar rhe. The fourth day you came out, had your breakfast and went to your hospital. You didn't even take a glance at me papa!"

Sanjana wiped the lone tear fallen down from her eye.

"Uss din ke baad se mai jab bhi aap ke paas aayi aapne mujhe ye bol diya ki aap busy hain. Ek baar toh aapne mujhpe chillaya bhi tha. I was scared, papa. Uss din I decided ki mai aapke paas nahi aaungi. Shayad tab aap mujhe miss karein and khud aa jaayein?" Monami explained very softly.