35. Magic Is Might

The following morning Genevieve dressed in her smartest clothes, and used Floo Powder to get into the Ministry of Magic.
Only certain fireplaces were now allowed to be connected to the Ministry of Magic. But luckily Genevieve and Tom's home was one of the few that were connected. For Tom didn't want Genevieve to be treated like a commoner.
Tom had wished her good luck on her first day, before heading off to Bulgaria, to continue his search for Gregorovitch and the Elder Wand.

Genevieve had a scarf obscuring her face, to protect her identity, because she couldn't risk being recognised by anyone, before her name was cleared.
She headed towards the Atrium, where every single Ministry employee had gathered, to hear a speech from the new Minister for Magic; Pius Thicknesse, who they didn't know was actually under the Imperius Curse.
The undercover death eaters in the room instantly flocked to Genevieve's side, to stand guard around her in case anything went wrong.
For once, she felt glad to have their protection, as she felt a little like a fish out of water, trapped in the Ministry without Tom to defend her.

Once everyone had assembled, Pius Thicknesse addressed the crowd.
"Good morning. Thank you for coming here so early this morning. With the resignation of Rufus Scrimgeour, I, Pius Thicknesse have been made the new Minister for Magic" he revealed.
Several people began muttering under their breaths, and Genevieve didn't think that everyone believed that Scrimgeour had just resigned.
"As Minister for Magic, I will be making certain changes around here, which will increase the productivity and power of the Ministry. I have several announcements to make this morning, regarding how I will be improving things at the Ministry" continued Thicknesse.

The Minister then pulled out a long piece of parchment from his pocket, and began to read out the changes that Tom was to be implementing through Thicknesse, in his Ministry.
"The first announcement I must address is that Harry Potter is wanted for questioning, regarding the mysterious death of Albus Dumbledore. This is top priority, and there is now a 10 thousand galleon reward, for anyone who can hand Harry Potter over to me. He is now to be called Undesirable Number 1, and those with information on his whereabouts must come forward at the earliest possible convenience" informed Thicknesse.
This revelation caused even more people to whisper, as many found it hard to believe that Harry Potter, the famous chosen one, had been responsible for Dumbledore's death.

"Are you looking forward to your announcement, my lady?" Whispered Yaxley, who was stood beside Genevieve.
"I'm excited to have my name cleared. But I'm not sure I'm looking forward to everyone staring at me, when I reveal myself" admitted Genevieve.
"Everyone will show you the respect that you deserve, I swear. If anyone dares to attack you, or even whisper about you, me and the boys will step in to protect you" reassured Yaxley.
"I am capable of taking care of myself"
"I know you are, my lady. Forgive me for over stepping my mark. I just wanted to make sure that you knew that we have your backs, should anything go wrong"
"Well, consider me reassured".

"The second announcement I have to make, is the revelation of some important information brought to light by those who work in the Department of Mysteries. It has come to my attention, that magic can only be passed down through blood, from a parent to a child. Any so called Muggle-borns must have stolen their magic from a witch or wizard. I have started a Muggle-born registration committee, to look into all of these Muggle-borns. And the committee will be headed by my secretary; Dolores Umbridge" revealed Thicknesse.
This time, nobody dared to whisper, for they were still processing what they had just been told.
Dolores Umbridge smiled and stepped out of the crowd, to stand beside the Minister.
She was dressed in one of her usual hideous pink outfits, and she looked extremely pleased with herself.

"To support the new regime, I have placed Corban Yaxley as Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement" informed Thicknesse.
Yaxley smiled at Genevieve, as he pushed through the crowds, to join the Minister at the front.
The death eaters closed around Genevieve, filling the gap Yaxley had left, to make sure she was secure, for their master would have their heads if anything happened to Genevieve.
Her palms began to sweat nervously, as she knew it would soon be her turn, to join the Minister at the front of the room.
"I have also commissioned a new statue to replace the Fountain of Magical Brethren. This new statue will better reflect our values and the new phrase I have coined; Magic is Might" continued Thicknesse.

"Now, before I reveal who the new Head of the Department of International Magical Co-operation is going to be, I must first correct a few mistakes made by my predecessors. Over recent years, I'm sure many of you have read in the Daily Prophet, about a terrifying mass murderer named Genevieve Grindelwald or Genevieve Slytherin as she is sometimes known. I wanted to formally clear Madam Slytherin of all charges. Her trial, which took place many years ago, was biased and unfair. After looking into her case in more detail, I have come to conclude that the two murders she was convicted of, were acts of self-defence. While her father may have been the famous Gellert Grindelwald, she is not guilty of her fathers crimes. So, I want you all to welcome the newest member of the Ministry of Magic; Genevieve Slytherin!" Announced Thicknesse.

Genevieve took a deep breath and lowered her scarf.
She then made her way through the crowd, with death eaters either side of her, clearing the path.
Originally Genevieve was going to keep the name Grindelwald.
But in the end, she decided to go with her current legal surname, as she thought it would instill less fear than Grindelwald would.
And in her new job, she wanted to be respected, and not feared.

Once out of the crowd, Genevieve went and stood beside the Minister.
Even though Thicknesse continued speaking, and addressing new members of staff, who all came up to join him, everyone in the room was looking at Genevieve.
The Minister had purposely failed to mention her connection to Lord Voldemort, but despite this, everyone knew exactly who she was, and whom she was married to.
Even though she wanted to stand on her own two feet, Genevieve had a feeling that many of the Ministry employees would never see her as anything more that the wife of Voldemort.