Chapter 16

"In truth, a family is what you make it. It is made strong, not by number of heads counted at the dinner table, but by the rituals you help family members create, by the memories you share, by the commitment of time, caring, and love..." ~ Marge Kennedy

"Papa! Papa!" Mary squealed, jumping up and down before the foggy parlor window.

"What is it, darling?" Watson asked, taking a sip of his tea.  His daughter ignored him, continuing to giggle excitedly and point out the window.  The doctor sighed, hoisting himself up out of his chair to see what the fuss was about.

"Oh," he chuckled, picking Mary up and kissing her dimpled cheek.  "It's snowing, isn't it?  Well, it's very pretty, hmm?"

She nodded, resting her head on his shoulder and putting her thumb in her mouth.  A habit Watson had tried to break her of, but believed Holmes secretly encouraged simply to spite him.  They watched the snowflakes fall to the street below in tranquil silence for a moment longer before Watson asked, "Would you like to go out and play in it, dearest?"

His daughter's head shot up, her eyes wide and sparkling.  "Yes!"

"Then that is exactly what we shall do," Watson chuckled.  "But, we can't let Uncle Holmes and Auntie Irene miss out on all the fun, now can we?"

Mary shook her head, her blonde curls flying.

"What say we go wake them up?"

The little girl grinned and squirmed in his arms, attempting to get down and run to her aunt and uncle's bedroom.

"Hold on," Watson laughed.  "Impatient little imp.  You have been spending entirely too much time with your uncle, young lady."  He tapped her nose and she scrunched it up in an adorable pout.  Watson chuckled and placed a kiss there instead.

Balancing his daughter on one arm, he knocked gently on his friend's bedroom door.  There was no answer, so he assumed the couple was still asleep.  He hoped so anyway.  Once the pair had returned from their honeymoon in Venice, he told Holmes that if he ever happened to be enjoying his wife's company, he was to be sure to lock the door.  That way Mary, or himself for that matter, did not walk in on anything unpleasant.  The door swung open, revealing Holmes and Irene both sound asleep.  Watson grinned.  This was far too easy.  "Are you ready, sweetheart?" he whispered in his princess' ear.

Mary nodded.

Irene's eyes fluttered open, being a much lighter sleeper than her husband, and watched with an amused turn of her pretty lips as Watson quietly approached the bed, placing Mary on Holmes' chest.  He then took a step back to watch the scene unfold.

Mary almost immediately began to bounce on her uncle's stomach.  "Homes!  Homes!  Homes!"

With a startled cry, Holmes awoke to find his niece's giggling face above him.  Irene stifled her own laughter into his pillow, and Holmes narrowed his eyes at Watson who was chuckling to himself as he left the room.  Holmes sighed and ran his hand over his niece's soft curls.  "Good morning Mary darling," he croaked.  "What can I do for you this fine day?"

The little girl threw her hands into the air. "Snow!"

"Snow?" her uncle echoed in confusion.

Mary nodded emphatically.

Irene left the warm bed to look out the window, drawing back the thick curtain.  Sure enough, a heavy blanket of snow covered Baker Street.  "My, it certainly is beautiful," she smiled.  "I don't suppose you want to go play in it, do you, Princess?"

"Yes!"

"Hmm, well, I'm afraid you'll have to escape the tickle monster first!" Holmes declared, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her down flat onto his chest, crushing her in a fierce bear hug before tickling her sides.