Part 1

Beth POV

I've always worked hard for marks.

I'd spend countless hours to achieve the marks my parents demanded. I rarely meet the grades they wanted.

I would usually be a couple of points short, like 1-3% off of the mark they wanted.

"You need to do better next time ok," my mom told me...

They weren't rude or anything, they just wanted me to succeed for my future.

But, they never praised me. I would get the highest mark on an English test, and they would say the same thing

"Better, need to do better next time,"

I put up a smiling facade for them. But deep down, I wanted praise from them

I wanted them to tell me I did a good job...instead I was chasing an invisible ball. One I would never catch

My parents were anything but bad people. They just wanted a lot from me and most times I never could deliver.

It was taking a toll on my mental state.

I remember breaking down multiple times because I couldn't meet their expectations.

I sat at my desk in Physics class as I groan and whine in my head...these topics make no sense.

Magnetic fields make no sense. Hand rules? What?

I dreaded the test that was at the end of next week. I don't get this unit at all.

The teacher finished the lecture and we were sent off to do classwork, many people just talked to their friends. But I tried to make sense of the topics.

Maybe I should ask the teacher? No, what if she thinks it's a stupid question? Maybe she will accuse me of not listening in class...I better just figure it out myself.

I was starting to get frustrated.

"Um, Hello?" I hear a boy ask, I look at him as I don't recognize him

He was a tall guy with glasses resting on his nose.

"Hello?" I say back confused trying to be polite. Maybe he will leave me alone after whatever he asks me.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your thoughts, I see your having a hard time grasping the concepts too. I was wondering if maybe we could study sometime after school?" He asks shyly. His voice was quiet despite being deep.

With his short (H/C), you'd think he was a popular kid.

Studying...with him? I looked at him from head to toe. I don't like judging people off on their appearance, but this kid doesn't look very smart.

My head went into overdrive as I run a bunch of scenarios and figure out the best words for this conversation.

"I guess we could," I say as he smiles faintly.

"Ok, what time and where?" He asks as my brain thinks again.

"How about outside of the Tim Hortons at 4:30? I ask as he nods

"Ok, I'll see yo---," his voice was drowned out as the bell rang as the other students started moving out. He quickly got out of my row so he wouldn't block my classmates as they dashed toward the door.

He did a little awkward wave before grabbing his binder from below his desk and leaving as well.

I didn't notice, but I still had all of my stuff out.

I packed up quickly so I could head to my next class.

A girl bumped into me and my stuff scatters across the floor as her friends trample my things.