Facing the Past

The next morning I woke up to the sound of pans banging in the kitchen. I quickly ran to see what was happening only to find Thor trying to flip what appeared to be a burning pancake. 

"What are you doing?" I asked, trying not to laugh. 

"Oh, good morning," he said with a smile, "I wanted to cook you breakfast. I still haven't gotten the hang of the stove, yet." He set the pan in the sink and quickly turned on the water. The pan sizzled and smoke wafted up setting off the smoke detector. 

"Open the window," I yelled as I ran to open the front and side door. I then stood under the smoke detector waving a towel, trying to get it to stop. Thor came up behind and grabbed the towel from my hand. 

"You are too short, Asha, let me do it," he said as he put his hand on my waist. He started waving the towel and soon the noise stopped. Only when it did, he didn't move from behind me or take his hand from my waist. 

I could feel the heat coming from his body, and smell his unique scent. He leaned into my back as his arm snaked across my stomach, pulling back until his body was flush to mine. I hugged his arm with both of mine as he set his chin on top of my head and held me for a few minutes. Neither of us spoke. 

"I have missed you so much, Asha," he finally said releasing me.

"I missed you as well," I whispered back. 

We decided to go to a restaurant for breakfast and then come back to my apartment to talk. We sat together on the couch as Thor told me about his banishment and meeting Jane. He explained how she became infected with the ether and the battle with the Dark Elves. I learned all about Loki's attack on New York and faking his death twice. 

As he described the death of his mother and father, I held his hand. By the time he had finished speaking about the battle with Thanos and the loss of Loki and some of his friends, he was sobbing. I held him in my arms as I cried with him. I couldn't imaging losing so many loved ones and not having anyone to share your grief with. I was angry at the so called teammates who never checked on him after the blip. 

When he was finished crying, I continued to hold him until I heard his slight snores and knew he was asleep. I tried to lay him down on the couch but when I went to let go of him his arms tightened around my waist. He looked up at me and his eyes were puffy and red.

"Please, hold me for a little longer." he asked, gently stroking my cheek with his thumb. 

"I will, but lets get more comfortable so you can sleep," I said taking his hand and leading him to my bedroom. We removed our shoes and climbed into bed. He put his face in the crook of my shoulder and his arms around my body. I wrapped my arms around him and held him to me. He fell back asleep almost immediately.

As I laid on the bed, I tried to wrap my head around everything that had happened in just the past ten years or so. I had never seen Thor so emotional before, and I knew it had almost destroyed him to live thru everything. 

I knew without a doubt that he needed me, and I knew that I would stay with him for as long as he needed me. Even if he only wanted to be around me because I was his last tie to Asgard, I would make sure he was taken care of. 

Thirty minutes after we laid down, I gingerly crawled out of his arms and returned to the living room. I contacted Fury to request a few days off to spend with Thor, which he agreed to. I then made a list of all the places I could take Thor in D.C. and finally I ordered a grocery delivery so I would have enough to feed him.