CHAPTER #23

"How's Lei?" Enishi asked his wife.

"Still groggy... He pushed me out of the way from the first attacker." Sumi paused and blurted, "I killed so many."

"It was kill or die and you were protecting Lei. How did you get Pearl to fight for Lei?"

"I didn't, she did that on her own. Maybe because he always sneaks her apples or when he was hit, Lei made a cry like a baby animal. I don't really know."

"Were you blind with rage?"

She shrugged. "I thought he was dead because I was careless and dropped my guard."

"You fought well," he took her still trembling hands into his. "What you did was just. Not man, nor heaven, will judge you."

"Let me scrub your skin," Sumi said and began to do just that, after he released her hands.

Once he finished his bath, he found Sumi in their room. He took her into his arms, waiting for the shock of what happened to dissipate. She stayed with her face against his neck for a long time.

"I'm okay now," she announced. "Have you found out anything about the attack?"

"Let's see what the men have to report," Enishi suggested, got dressed and made his way downstairs.

She checked on Lei once more and then followed. Yuesheng came in with his Russian men and announced that the British attack had come from Beijing, due to the salt smuggling ownership rights. He got permission from Enishi to handle it himself.  After he left, Enishi made arrangements to go to the Water View Gardens. The salt merchant Zang Yingchen had the government rights to transport and sell salt in Changlu and surrounding regions. That meant the salt merchants of Changlu would be the ones supplying Beijing. To display their wealth they created gardens, that showed the harmony of nature and human control. Tianjin was the transhipment and transportation centre of the salt trade in Changlu.  Enishi was going to discuss the salt smuggling and create alliances with these salt merchants. Sumi decided to go with him and left Lei in Feng's care. They travelled by train and Enishi flexed his wealth, creating a buzz among the citizens.

The salt trade in China and even the exports to other countries was an extensive network. Salt taxes were severe in China and the average food stall or restaurant couldn't handle the prices. Salt smuggling wasn't as dangerous as arms dealing or opium smuggling, but still had its own risks. Money meant nothing to Enishi, however it helped him gain power over the weaker and  greedy men. The rest was controlled by fear; of his wrath and now Sumi's assassins blades.  She played her part as his lethal shadow; dressed in her armoured fighting clothing, carrying the two curved blades that Enishi had gifted to her. Sumi stuck to the shadows, with her existence hidden until necessary.

Zang Yingchen was discussing salt smuggling routes with Enishi. When the man tried to downplay his involvement, Sumi's sudden blade on his neck, changed his mind. "I apologize sir, let me show you the current network."

Enishi raised an eyebrow, as signal to Sumi to sink back into the shadows. The map was laid out on the table. Two areas interested him and he requested the names of the controllers. Again he was met with resistance. Enishi threw an apple from the side table of where he sat and two halves landed in Yingchen's lap. He had not heard, nor seen who had cut the apple.

Yingchen shivered when Sumi said in his ear, "next time my blades will slice your head in two."

"Lady Killer?" Yingchen asked in a whisper.

"I'm not as deadly as my husband," she laughed. Sumi went to stand beside Enishi.

The salt merchant couldn't see her face, because the hood was pulled low. He did see her grinning mouth and the two curved blades she held in her hands. When he looked at the man seated across from him, it seemed that she was mistaken, because he was completely still. But when eye contact was made with the current Shanghai Mafia Boss, the devil incarnate was what he saw. This time the threat was loud and clear.