Chapter Eight

Chancellor Palpatine sat calmly between Obi-Wan and Anakin as they flew him via personal transport to the Jedi Temple. Surrounding the transport ship were Coruscant Security pilots in their starfighters.

"Are you comfortable, Chancellor?" Anakin asked the older man.

Palpatine smiled. "Yes, quite. You're an exceptional pilot, Anakin."

Anakin grinned at the compliment.

Obi-Wan was only half-heartedly listening to the conversation going on between Anakin and Palpatine; the other half of his mind on his wife and son. He knew that every moment they spent away from Zakk wore on Siri. She loved their son.

"It's majestic isn't it, Your Excellency?" Anakin asked Palpatine as they approached the Jedi Temple. Obi-Wan fixed his own gaze on the place that he had called home all of his life. It was majestic.

"Chancellor, I spoke with Master Yoda earlier and he has arranged quarters for you near Anakin and me," Obi-Wan explained.

Palpatine nodded. "Thank you, Master Kenobi. What you are doing for me is truly above and beyond the call of duty. I do so appreciate your efforts on my behalf."

Obi-Wan simply inclined his head slightly. "We are here to serve, Your Excellency."

"Of course," Palpatine stated. "Was Master Yoda able to arrange office space for me within the Temple?"

"Yes," was the simple answer. "You'll have access to a conference room on the main floor of the Temple near the Archives. It has been set up with everything you should need."

Palpatine thanked him just as Anakin smoothly set down the ship on the Temple landing pad. The two Jedi began to unbuckle their safety harnesses and climb from the ship, but Palpatine sat perfectly still as he stared at the Temple.

"Is something wrong, Chancellor?" Obi-Wan asked.

Palpatine snapped out of his thoughts and looked to Obi-Wan. "No, no. Everything is fine, Master Kenobi. I was merely admiring this magnificent structure."

"If you'll follow us, Chancellor, we can get you settled quickly," Anakin said. "I'm sure you're tired and hungry and would like to get some rest."

Palpatine made his way out of the small transport ship and was immediately surrounded by Obi-Wan, Anakin and five security officers. In addition, he noticed that ten Jedi Knights had also made their way out onto the landing platform. Each Jedi was powerfully built and armed with an ignited lightsaber.

"Is all this security really necessary, Master Kenobi?" Palpatine asked as if he was put off by the protection he was being given.

As they kept moving, Obi-Wan spoke. "You were, and quite possibly still are the target of an assassination plot, Chancellor. We will not take any chances with your safety."

Palpatine smiled politely as he was escorted into the Temple and taken directly into one of the lifts. He let out a breath once the doors slid shut and he was alone with only Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Anakin smiled at the sound. "Nervous, Chancellor?"

Palpatine made a show of wiping the sweat from his brow. "Yes, actually. Seeing all of those Jedi with...well, I've never seen so many lightsabers in one place."

Obi-Wan chuckled at that. "Well then, you may be in for a treat, Chancellor. Since you'll be staying with us for the foreseeable future, you may wish to observe the lightsaber tournament that's being held next week."

Palpatine gaped. "A tournament?"

Anakin nodded as the lift began slowing as they reached their destination. "Yes, Chancellor. Every year there is a Temple-wide dueling tournament. Masters, Knights, Padawans and Initiates all compete. The Masters bracket goes first, then the Knights and then the Padawans. Once they've all completed their matches and the victors have been awarded their prizes, the Initiates begin their tournament."