one

It was a warm day in mid-July and Jane Tonks had just woken up to the sound of ringing. She stumbled out into the hall where she could smell her dad cooking breakfast downstairs and grabbed the phone off of the wall. 

"Janie!" she heard the voice on the other end shout. It was Meena, Jane's best friend since Grade 1. The pair was practically inseparable and next year the two of them would be going off to the same secondary school.

"G'mornin," Jane mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"You wanna hang today? My mom says she'll take us back-to-school shopping!" Meena asked.

Jane smiled slightly. Her mom had died when she was just a baby, but Meena's mom had always treated her like a second daughter. 

"Definitely," Jane replied, "does your house at 11 sound good?"

"Perfect! I'll tell mom. See ya!"

Jane hung up the phone and shouted down to her dad.

"Sounds good, sweetie!" her dad replied.

Back in her room, she had a good bit of time before she had to be at Meena's so she busied herself picking out her outfit and getting dressed. As she was pulling on her socks, however, she heard the doorbell ring. Odd, Jane thought, we aren't expecting anyone, certainly not this early in the morning. Perhaps it's the mailman with a large package. But it's a Sunday. There's no post on Sunday.

"Hey, Janie," she heard her father holler, "can you please come down a moment?" She heard a twinge of discomfort in her father's voice that made the hairs on her arm stick up. Confused, Jane obliged and made her way downstairs, pulling on her socks as she went. As she rounded the corner into the living room, Jane let out a squeal of delight. Sitting on the couch was a man and a woman around her father's age. The woman wore long purple robes and her curly brown hair was done up in a large messy bun behind her head. The man wore a mustard yellow sweater and a pair of navy blue slacks. It was her Uncle Ted and Aunt Andy, her father's brother and his wife. Seeing the pair was a rare occasion as they were not like most people. Jane remembered vividly the day her father had sat her down and told her about the Wizarding World, the world her aunt and uncle (as well as their daughter, Nymphadora) were a part of. Jane was just seven years old, and didn't totally believe him at first until the pair came to visit that Christmas and Dora's hair kept changing colors.

"Oh, it's so good to see you!" Jane dashed over to hug the two of them.

Ted hugged her back warmly, but there was a slight sternness in Andromeda's expression.

"Jane, this here is Professor McGonagall," Andromeda said quietly, gesturing across the room. Until that very moment, Jane had failed to notice another woman sitting in the armchair behind her. She turned to see a woman dressed in emerald robes with square spectacles perched on the edge of her nose. At the sight of this surprise guest, Jane gulped and pushed her own glasses back up the bridge of her nose. 

"Good morning young lady," the woman called Professor McGonagall greeted Jane, "do you know why I'm here today?"

Jane, confused by the question, turned to her father for reassurance. In his eyes, she saw a glint of sadness.

"Erm, no," Jane replied cautiously. She felt as if she was being tested by everyone in the room. 

"Professor McGonagall is the Deputy Headmistress at Hogwarts, and one of the best educators in all of Europe if I may say so," Uncle Ted added grinning.

"Tonks, your flattery will not phase me. I thought you should have learned this in your day as my pupil," McGonagall replied although her lips curled upwards ever so slightly.

Hogwarts, thought Jane, that's where Dora is studying. Why are people from Hogwarts visiting me?

"Are you sure about this?" her father suddenly interjected, "I mean, how can you be certain?"

"Sammy..." Ted started.

"Yes, we are certain," Professor McGonagall said with finality, "and may I say that while I understand your...erm...unique concerns, this is the safest option for Jane. Without it, she will become...unwell."

"Umm, what are you talking about? What are you all certain of?" Jane asked to no one in particular.

The four adults looked around at each other and no one said a word for a brief moment.

It was Andromeda who broke the silence. "You're a witch, Jane."

Jane stood still for a moment before breaking out into a huge grin. A wave of disbelief washed over her, quickly followed by the most joy she had ever felt.

"A witch! Me? I can't believe it!" Jane exclaimed gleefully. She turned to her father, expecting to see his smile, but his face was wrought with concern. "What's wrong?"

"It's not safe. I'm sorry Edward, I love you, but you know your world. It's not safe," her father answered, turning to his brother.

"Yes, there are dangers, Sam. But the dangers are far greater if she stays. If she does not learn to use her gifts."

"I won't let her go." Her father stood and paced towards the bookshelf on the far end of the room. There was a fear in his eyes that Jane had never seen before. "I won't. I'll...we'll figure something out. There has to be another way right? Can't you fix her?"

"Fix her? Mr. Tonks I assure you, there is nothing wrong with your daughter, and frankly I do not appreciate your describing her as such merely because she —"

Andromeda cut Professor McGonagall off. "Ted. I get. I understand your fears. Believe me I do. And I am so sorry that it had to be this way. I wish Jane could live a normal life, just as much as you do. But she must go to Hogwarts. It may seem backwards but she is far safer there than she could be in the muggle world."

Jane looked from her aunt to her father. Then to her uncle. Then to Professor McGonagall. 

"I want to go," she said softly.

"Sweetie, you don't have—" her father started. But Jane had made up her mind. 

"I want to go." In all honesty, this was what Jane had always dreamed of, even if she wouldn't let herself admit it. Hearing stories from her cousin, Dora, made Hogwarts seem like the most wonderful place on earth and she'd been desperate to attend since she was young. She just always thought it was impossible. She had never displayed any magical talent and had no reason to believe she was a witch.

"Well, then, if you are certain, we will have your official Hogwarts letter sent in a few days' time, and I best be off, lots to do," Professor McGonagall said, rising from her chair. She shook Mr. Tonks's hand and exited out into their backyard where Jane heard a loud snap like a branch breaking. 

Ted and Andromeda stayed a while longer. He father made them all tea and they answered a few questions Jane had about books and other supplies. When they left, Jane and her father sat alone in the living room.

"I only want what's best for you," Mr. Tonks promised her. 

"I know," Jane replied and hugged him tightly, "but they said that this is what's best for me. Why are you so afraid, anyways?"

Before Mr. Tonks could answer, the phone rang. 

Meena!

Jane rushed to pick up the phone. 

"Hi! I am so sorry I can't make it today. And I, uh, actually won't need to go with you to get any supplies this year," Jane hurried. She quickly realized how odd that sounded without any context. She knew she wasn't supposed to tell anyone but Meena was like a sister to her. 

"Actually, Meena, can you keep a secret?"