Chapter 43: Crime and Punishments (Part 1)

Another failure got chewed in front of her face, she growled in anger, nearly smacking the petri dish. "Work already!" Her voice was hoarse from screaming last attempt. "It's gold, the gold's supposed to work, why won't you WORK!?"

She was at this for hours, and there was no sign of success, a feeling of nausea and dread grew in her stomach. Please... Liv needed it. Liv needs to live. I have nothing left to lose.

"Liv, Liv!" She remembered being so excited to see Liv come back after a long day of work. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, darling." Liv smiled and ruffled her hair. "I... I've been having trouble with the parasynths, no one has been considering them."

"Why wouldn't they?" She frowned, confused by that. "They're a great idea!"

"Some people have different opinions on ideas, and they think mine isn't a very good one." Liv explained. "Not to worry, have you been having fun managing the lab when I'm gone?"

"Yep! I can't wait till your project is funded!" She cheered. "Then we can work on stuff together again!"

But that never happened. And she was alone, and she'd be forever alone if she couldn't get Liv back. Even if if she had to kill everyone in this stupid building to save her family, she'd do it.

"Diane?" She hadn't realized Chris was placing a warm breakfast plate into her hands. "You stayed up another night."

"I don't have the luxury to sleep in." She snapped at him. "Liv is dying, don't you care?"

His eyes flashed with anger. "Of course I care! She's my best friend." Chris placed the petri dish back on the rack. "But at this rate, you're gonna drain the gold before it's even Saturday. Whip up some antibodies and more regenerative tissue for her to give you more time."

You know he's right, you can't help Liv if you work yourself to death. Diane slowly nodded. "Fine, but we'll need more gold if these failures keep up."

Chris flashed a reassuring grin, his fangs digging into his lip. "I can have the pets fetch more, we haven't used the chef much except for simple stealth runs, and of course, food." He chuckled. "Bet the employees haven't questioned why the food tastes richer than normal, I might not like sharp blades that can cut steel, but they do well in the kitchen."

"That's true." She nodded in agreement.

"Get some shut-eye before doing more work, okay?"

"As you wish." She'd get what she wanted anyways. I always do.

"Find a new employer." They said, "It'll be better in the long run." They said, what a bunch of liars.

To Momakase, her counselor, was especially the biggest liar out of the bunch. Then again, they didn't predict she'd be under Liv Amara's bloody thumb once she broke out.

The constantly smiling mutt Chris was having her go on a fetch quest too early in the morning for more gold. "We'd send in Bessie or Sparkles, but you haven't been useful around here lately, have you?" He sneered.

Were it not for the threat on her son dangling under her head, she'd tear both him and the cursed woman with her claws. So now she was feeling the cold, brisk air of San Fransokyo once more, she was starting to forget that sensation after being cooped up at Sycorax for so long.

"Accursed woman, would it kill her to let me have a walk or two?" Momakase murmured under her breath, but she knew the reasoning. Liv doesn't want me trying to contact my son when she's not looking, otherwise...