Chapter Three

A week had passed since the run. Cas was relieved to say that nothing had happened during that time. No weird cars, no signs of life. Just the dead, smaller runs between Maverick and Shane, and the school having too much room and not enough room all at the same time.

He was on watch. Like usual, he felt like. But at least this time he had something to watch other than the dead.

Levy and Archer had taken to training in the mornings. She always started off stiff, awkward, and eventually she would find comfort in the fluid movements she was showing Arch. He was far more clumsy than her, especially when he had an actual sword in his hands. But Cas could see, however small, that he was making progress.

"Anything?" Ae Ri asked as she approached. She looked down at what Cas was seeing, and her face twisted into surprise. "Huh... I didn't think she'd actually do it."

Of course, Cas had told her about the offer from Levy. He told her about the guns, the offer, but he hadn't told her about the other thing. Not yet at least.

He smiled at Ae Ri. "Not too late to go and join 'em," he stated, and Ae Ri leaned back, red coloring her cheeks. "We're stationary. We've got walls. It's a good time to learn, Ae Ri."

"I haven't killed a walker before," Ae Ri muttered. "Levy would probably just get irritated with me."

Cas hummed. He thought something similar too, when Levy found him and Shane at that drug store. He hid behind the counter and hoped for the best, and Shane had done well in getting rid of the other looters. He expected her to hate him, to call him a coward. But she didn't.

"I don't think she's like that," Cas said after a moment. Ae Ri turned her head to look at him, just as he heard more feet heading up the stairs. It sounded like Jude and Zayden. "I think, if you asked, she'd be willing to do it."

"Who would be willing to do what?" Jude asked as she came up, pushing her hair back into a ponytail. Zayden perched herself on one of the classroom desks still left behind, her hair rested on the top of her head in a bun.

Ae Ri gestured to the window. "Teach us," she said quietly, and Jude looked out.

"Whoa, Zay! Look at this!" Zayden rolled her eyes, but she pushed herself off the desk and to the window. Cas was quiet as both sisters stared outside with open mouths. Jude added, "I guess Shane was right... Cas, how long have they been doing this?"

Cas shrugged his shoulders. "Since after the run last week."

He looked out the window again, bringing his binoculars to his eyes, and he saw something he didn't normally see. "Get down, all of you," he said, bending so he could see just over the window sill. Jude was the first to drop to the ground, and Zayden took a moment to get the hint before Ae Ri dragged her down.

Cas lifted a radio to his mouth. "We have a truck outside."

Cas observed them carefully, and he turned down the radio as the three girls fully sat down, leaning against the wall. Ae Ri kept a hand over her mouth, and Jude's eyes were shut tight, holding onto Zayden for everything, for life itself.

There was someone in that truck. Cas just couldn't tell who or how many.

Shane's voice warbled through the radio, low and quiet. "Truck? You see people, Cas?"

"One. Driver. Can't make out anyone else," he answered, trying to see through the sun. He saw a shadow move, one in the back. "Two. I see someone else. They moved."

"Levy. Get inside," Maverick said, his voice gritted out. Cas swallowed, but he couldn't look over without giving himself away. He'd have to stand, and if they had any idea someone was here... Clear view.