1 | D a r k n e s s

In the beginning, there were only shadows. Pure and cold, it held everything and nothing, infinite and vast but confined and constrained all at the same time. Darkness was free to roam in darkness, and there was nothing else existing to corrupt that beautiful, uncanny black void.

Then, in some unknown circumstance, she was born. Borne from the blackness that enshrouded her for such a time, she entered the stage as cursed as the world could make her. From her first breath in this blighted realm of whiteness and plague and sorrow, she longed for flesh and blood.

Flesh and blood she wanted, and so she received.

With a brooding smile reflecting the brutality that had once encased her, she dragged the limp body of a bloody corpse down a vacant street, blood pooling under the slain victim as the dead weight scraped against the moist ground. She licked her lips, her eyes growing wide and her mouth watering from the delicious scent of human flesh, tickling her senses, taunting her and beckoning to her just-

Take.

A.

Bite.

She heaved up the body with a baffling strength, spreading her wide-stretched maws and snapping it down monstrously on the victim's pale throat, ripping out a juicy chunk of flesh. She closed her relentless mouth around the gaping wound, drinking in the oozing, viscous blood that drained out of the body, gulping and moaning as if she had never known peace before.

She ripped at the body in the middle of that empty street, tearing limbs and crunching bones as her red eyes, glowing like scarlet radioactive waste against black pulsing ink, flashed and glinted with a ravenous frenzy. The sounds of ripping flesh and slopping blood filled the lone road, nothing but the flickering yellow streetlights to accompany the rogue ghoul.

The entire body of the victim was consumed within minutes, leaving a decapitated head, mauled beyond recognition, teetering eerily on the stone street. The ghoul stabbed two fingers into the eye sockets, popping out the eyeballs and yanking at the veiny strings that attached them to the skull. She let out a low giggle, popping one of the balls into her mouth and bit down on it violently, sending fluids to squirt in and out of her mouth. She savored the taste, a slow grin appearing upon her pale features. She rolled the other eye in between her slick bloody fingers, gazing down at the severed head with a curious expression. She swallowed the first eye and plopped the second one in, crushing the sphere and drinking the juices with one swift gulp.

She grabbed the head in a slender hand, her fingers curling around the frontal cortex as her palm smashed into the forehead, splintering the skull and sending thick streams of blood to spurt out from the wound. Her fingers clamped down on the head, crushing the bone and sending shards of the bloody skull to dig deeper into the victim's brain. She pried the top part of the skull off, leaving a gaping hole to reveal the oh-so precious human brain. She dug a tapered hand in with a wheezing giggle, feeling the mushiness of the organ and bringing up the thick gray ropes to her mouth. She lapped at the fluids and slurped up the strings, her eyes glinting venomously under the moonless night sky. A grin appeared on her pink lips, glowing white teeth stained with sticky blood and flesh and foul organs, adorning that fearsome, wicked smile.

Then, just like a sudden gust that swept through the empty street, she was gone, darkness swallowing up everything once more. Nothing but the smashed head of her previous prey, bleeding profusely upon the stone, confirmed her ghostly presence there on the slumbering streets of Tokyo.

She appeared back in front of the door to her apartment like a phantom, her steps soundless and her existence unknown. She creaked the door open, frightening even the hyperactive mice that scurried across the mangy floors of the concrete complex, and slithered inside, shutting the darkened door with glowing, gleaming red eyes.