Chapter 7

Reluctantly, commander Burt engaged in battle with Princess Ember doing his best to defend instead of attacking waiting for an opening to push her down. Once the opening presented itself, he didn't hesitate and pushed her down his sword pointed in her face as she glared up at him.

Scoffing at the pity and sadness she saw in commander Burt's eyes Princess Ember spoke. "I don't need your pity, if you're going to finish me, finish me!"

"That's quite enough!" interrupted another voice drawing their attention to the entrance of the throne room where stood a hooded person.

As he took down his hood, all eyes widened in shock at the familiar yet different face.

"B-Brother?" asked Princess Ember weakly not believing her eyes.

"Yes, it's me," he reassured softly walking toward her.

With his confirmation, Princess Ember's eyes became wet, and her tears flowed as she covered her mouth to muffle her cries.

Alerted, commander Burt turned his attention back to her as she looked to the ground and cried welcoming his warm, reassuring touch on her shoulder.

Leaving his sister to his friend, Crown Prince Howard turned his attention to the four Kings that flinched under his hard gaze.

"Take them to the dungeon, I'll hear what they have to say later," he commanded leaving no room for anyone to argue.

Doing as told the guards escorted the Water and Earth King with difficulty while the Fire and Sky King went without complaint.

"Ember," he called softly kneeling before her as she looked up her face flushed and twisted in unbelieving relief. "It's okay now, there's no need for you to dirty your hands anymore," he reassured holding her close when she crashed into his arms.

With things settled, Princess Ember could rest for the first time in weeks.

"How is she?" asked commander Burt nervously as Crown Prince Howard exited her room.

He sighed. "Resting."

"Good," breathed out commander Burt relieved looking back at his friend hesitant for a moment. "honestly, how are you here? We thought you were..." he trailed off unable to say the words he dreaded.

"Dead?" completed Crown Prince Howard. "I thought so too. Luckily for me, there was a river at the end of the cliff, and I landed in that instead of the ground," he said noticing his friend tense as he continued. "The river carried me to dry land, and I woke up in a small village nearby. They nursed me back to health and by the time I got back to the capital, I heard of the confusion going on. People were fearing what was going to happen, so I decided to step in."

"I see, what about...?" he hesitated his gaze on the eyepatch Crown Prince Howard was wearing.

"Oh," he said immediately understanding. "I was quite damaged from the fall," he said smiling sadly as he placed a hand over his eyepatch. "There wasn't much they could do, but this was better than losing my life."

"Right, well you can have the physician look at it later." replied commander Burt saddened for his friend but holding back his grief to not make him feel worse.

"Yeah," he breathed out. "Anyway, I didn't recognise Ember at first. She truly has changed."

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I didn't take care of her properly." said commander Burt looking down apologetic and ashamed, never commenting on the sudden change of topic.

"It's fine, I'm glad she was able to change at your side. I knew it was the right choice to leave her with you."

Looking up surprised commander Burt stared at his friend baffled for a moment. "Really?" he asked unbelievingly.