Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

His truck smelled like him and I had to admit it made me feel better. It was a new truck, with all the bells and whistles. Despite this though, it was definitely a work truck. Tools were scattered across the back seat, a feed bucket was by my feet.

When I first got in it, he had tucked me in the passenger seat, buckled me in and even cleared my eyes from any stray tears. His calloused hands felt nice, and I wished he'd do it again.

"Young and innocent women should not be at that bar alone."

So far those were the only words he spoke since getting back on the road. For a while we were following Bear's truck until he turned into what looked like a long driveway towards a larger house.

I knew that wasn't where Piper lived so it must be his house.

"Are you taking me home?"

He nodded, "You're staying in the small cottage off of Winters Lane right?" His voice was gruff.

"Yes." I whispered, knowing it was common knowledge in small towns to know where people lived, especially when you're new in town.

He pulled into the small driveway and motioned for me to wait until he came around. Once he did I sat immobile as he unbuckled me and slid me into his arms like a small child.

Do men do this? Is this normal?

I think back to my father, knowing he had never been gentle with a woman or a child in his life.

"Key?"

"It's unlocked." I told him and earned a hard stare.

"You keep this unlocked?" Clark growled, frustration displayed obviously on his face.

I tensed not liking that I made him angry but at the same time I felt some excitement. "They told me it's a safe town." My words barely came out above a whisper.

Once he was in the house, he placed me on the kitchen counter but didn't move. Big hands were placed on either side of my thighs. "You need to lock your door. No more going out and getting drunk."

Was his face that close or was the whiskey fooling me?

"And if you want to sleep with the front door unlocked, you can slide into my bed. No man has the balls to break into my home. And if you want to go out and get wild drunk then I'll take you."

"What-what do you mean?"

I rubbed my eyes, his words were confusing. His voice alone made me want to reach for him, but his possessive words made me ache in places only he has ever woken. I felt the wetness between my legs and the urge to ground down on something hard. His nostrils flared telling me he was smelling my arousal again.

A whimper released from me, and I couldn't stop it. Was this the power of whiskey or him?

"Means you and I are gonna get to know each other real well, Little Girl."

He finally stepped back, started towards the door but not without making a show to adjust his jeans. I knew what I was looking at, and it was large and long just like before as it pressed against denim.

"What if I don't want to get to know you?"

He didn't seem to react to my question, instead I watched as he turned the lock on the front door before shutting it closed tight.

*****

Before I fell asleep I talked to Piper who told me she was alright and would be staying at Bear's tonight. She made me reassure her that I was okay and that Clark took me home safely.  When I woke the next morning, I had a text message from an unknown number.