Ugly Christmas Sweater

Fluff, Alpine and a dog

***

It was your first Christmas with Bucky since you moved together. So, this year you wanted to spend it only together. No reunion with the Avengers. Just the two of you.

You loved Christmas, and you love some cliché. That's why you bought two ugly Christmas sweaters : one for you, the other for your super soldier. On each of them was a T-Rex playing in the snow, wearing a Christmas hat and holding some presents. Or of course there were many colours such as red, green or yellow.

"As much as I love you doll, there is no way I'm wearing that", Bucky said as you gave him his sweat.

"Come on James! It's just for tonight!"

"No. And why is there a dinosaur? There is no link with Christmas."

"Excuse-me, Sergeant Barnes, but dinosaurs are awesome."

"..."

"Please James,'' you said with a sweet voice while putting your arms around him for a hug.

"You know I can't resist when you do that, right? Okay then, but just tonight and no pictures."

"Yes Sergeant!"

You couldn't stop smiling. He'd do anything to see you smile like that all the time. He took his sweater and was about to put it on when you warned him that you were going to cook for tonight, and that you didn't want him to dirty it before the movie night.

The program was that you will prepare dinner during the afternoon but also bake cookies and other biscuits for desserts. But first, you had to leave to get your boyfriend's present. You couldn't wait to give it to him.

It was only 10 am, but you received a message saying that the gift was ready. You kissed Bucky and left saying "you're gonna love it".

Bucky and you lived in a small apartment in a quiet village. You loved New-York, it was a beautiful city, but there was too much noise for you. Sometimes, it was scary and it reminded you of things you'd rather forget.

This village was really beautiful, and this, every season. But winter was your favourite. The snow covered everything. People were building snowmen, everything was decorated.

You decided that you'd walk instead of taking transport. Your destination was not that far. Plus, it allowed you to enjoy the beauty of the town at Christmas. There was a line at the bakery. People were buying their desserts for the night to come.

You really couldn't wait for tonight. Hell, you couldn't even wait to see the look on his face in less than an hour when he'll receive his gift.

Finally, you arrived at your destination : SPCA. Bucky really loved cats. You loved them too, but you were more of a dog person. In any case, you were sure that this little cat was going to make you both happy.

You explain the reason for your presence to the woman at the reception and she led you to the naw member of the family. The cat was a female, her fur was all white and her eyes were blue. She was named Alpine and she was two years old. A person found her a few months ago on a roadside.

You fell in love with little Alpine the moment you saw her on the SPCA's website. You came to the shelter two weeks before to meet her, and today as you approached her it was like she recognized you : jumping in your arms and purring.

As your returned to the reception to sign all the papers, you saw a very familiar figure:

"Bucky?!"

What was he doing here? He turned his face to you, looking as shocked as you were. You both stayed silent, staring at each other. Then you noticed : he had a leash in his hand and a beautiful husky attached to it. On his side, he noticed the cat in your arm.

He chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck with his vibranium arm :

"Well, it was supposed to be a surprise for when you came back, but I guess we had the same idea. Merry Christmas doll."

He gave you the leash, and as you took it, the dog slowly came to you. Like Alpine, he was white but with some shades of grey. His eyes were green and he had a scar on his muzzle and on his right front leg.

"His name is Hermes. He is a bit scared but he's nice. Also, he is deaf due to what happened to him, but I know we're going to take good care of him."

Bucky and you sat next to Hermes who had his eyes fixed on Alpine. The cat put her muzzle next to his.

"They seem to get along really well", you said to Bucky.

"You're right, but you still didn't present this little kitten", he joked.

"Excuse me Sergeant, you laughed, so this is Alpine. Merry Christmas James."

You both kissed, but were interrupted because you still had to sign papers. Then, you all headed to the car that Bucky took to come. You stopped by some stores to buy food, toys and a lot of new things for your animals.

Bucky and you joked a lot about the fact that you had the same idea, and that you were at the same place at the same time.

You came home around 1 p.m, and you installed everything for Hermes and Alpine which took you about an hour. After that, Bucky and you were really hungry so you both ate before starting baking some biscuits.

"James, can you give me the flour please?"

You weren't looking and he took this opportunity to throw some flour at your face.

"Sir, you're really gonna regret that!"

That's how you both started a flour battle while Hermes and Alpine were watching you from the couch. When you finally stopped, there was more flour on the both of you than in the bowls for the preparation of the biscuits.

At the end of the day, the kitchen was clean just like Bucky and you. You were wearing your ugly Christmas sweaters while watching Gremlins, drinking hot chocolate and eating your biscuits, Hermes and Alpine next to you.

"You know, Bucky started, I think the apartment is too small for the four of us."

"Are you suggesting buying a house?"

"Maybe"

"I really like that idea Mr Barnes", you said kissing him.

"Merry Christmas Y/N."

"Merry Christmas my Bucky Bear."

***

A few days later

Bucky and you had started to search for a bigger place, so you've decided to start sorting through your stuff.

As you entered the room you shared, you saw something that made you laugh: Bucky was wearing his T-Rex Christmas sweater.

"I thought you didn't like it and that it was only for our Christmas night?"

"Please doll, don't tell Steve and Sam!"