Chapter 2

Okuda looked up at the giant gate in front of her. Never in a thousand years would she ever have dreamed of coming to Konohagakure no Sato, the Village Hidden in the Leaves. Ninja were a common sight in the capital, not all of them from Konoha, but they rarely had the time—or the money—to hang around the red lights district. Even when one did wander into the brothel, they never asked for her. She turned her red eyes downward to look at the two children who'd somehow convinced her to cross the country with them.

"You're sure about this?"

Both children looked up at her with their clear eyes.

"Yep!" Said Akiko.

"As sure as we can be." Said Akira.

Not exactly confidence inspiring, but it was too late to turn back now. The carriage they rode out of the capital had already left. With a deep breath to soothe her frayed nerves—it didn't work—she stepped up to one of the ninja standing guard. At first glance, he didn't look too intimidating. Okuda knew better than to trust that snap judgement, though. It was the most unassuming men who often proved the most dangerous.

"Excuse me," she began, voice steady despite her anxiety. "Where do I go to report a shinobi death?"

His gaze sharpened, glancing from her to the children who clung to her clothes. "Do you know their call number?"

She shook her head, but pulled the headband the children had given her from inside her sleeve, viscerally aware of the way the ninja in front of her shifted so his hand was closer to the bag strapped to his thigh. She presented it to him with a bow and both hands, like she would when passing tea to a high paying customer. "I have this, and other things, but...," she bit her lip and looked down, playing the part the twins had cast her for. "I don't think I should give those to anyone but their family."

He took it and turned it over in his hands, attention divided between it and her. She kept her gaze fixed on his face, brow furrowed ever so slightly hands clasped in front of her chest. She was sure she looked like a desperate fool, but that was what most men wanted. Coupled with the children holding on to her, she struck a harmless image. Exactly what she wanted. He looked up at her with something almost like sympathy in his eyes, though his expression didn't change.

"That's not for you to decide."

She hunched her shoulders, letting her very real nerves show through. "I know. It's just..." She licked her lips, noting the way he glanced at them. "They were from a Clan."

That got his attention. Just like the children said it would. How they knew such things about the shinobi world when they had never left the brothel, she had no idea. They always knew things they shouldn't, though, so it wasn't really all that surprising. It was likely the shinobi's line of thought was also following their predictions.

She wasn't sure what she would do if they weren't.

The three of them jumped in place when an exact replica of the gate guard appeared with a puff of smoke. It didn't even spare them a glance before leaping into the air and rushing into the village. The original gestured to a bench beside the gate.

"You can wait there. An escort will be sent for you soon."

Okuda sat down rigidly, years of training holding her back straight despite her exhaustion. A carriage did not make for a comfortable bed, and she could only imagine what she looked like. If it was half as bad as she smelled, it was a wonder the ninja hadn't just turned her away.

The children followed her closely, playing the part of frightened kids like experienced actors. Which, she supposed, they were. They always hid their true natures from the rest of the brothel workers, pretending to be like other children their age. But they weren't. Knowing now that they were most likely ninja children helped put a lot of things in place for her. The one thing she didn't understand—well, the biggest thing—was why they never tried lying to her, of all people.