Chapter Three **Promotional**

The sun rose from the horizon to the mid-morning sky flooding Leouch's bedroom. His hair was peeking out from beneath the covers. Mordecai, laying quietly in his nest, began to chirp. It was sweet and soft and woke Leouch. He pushed up from the bed and stumbled to his feet.

The floorboards were cold and moaned as he walked. He stepped into the hallway and listened to the laughter coming from the living room. His mother and aunt were talking about their childhood.

The bathroom was bright and warm from the sunlight so he stood in the warmth before yawning. Leouch walked over to the porcelain tub sticking the plug into the drain. The heater in the corner had red coals waiting for water.

After washing his face in the basin he filled a large bucket of water and placed it over the heat. In a few minutes, it would be warm enough to use. Henrietta knocked and he opened the door to see her tired, but smiling face. She asked him if he wanted breakfast and he followed her into the kitchen.

It was the first time he had ever seen the kitchen still dirty from the night before. His mother was religious about keeping the place clean. However, the mourning kept them from cleaning. Thankfully they were allowed to bathe. It would be another night before she left for the river and the black cloths were removed from all the reflective surfaces. At least he wouldn't be here to clean up the mess.

His mother pulled out some fried meat and drop biscuits and heated them up. She had just set his plate down when his sister came through the door. Her long dark hair was braided into two braids and wrapped around the crown of her head.

"You dress just like Alma, Mori," he says handing her a biscuit. She takes it and sits down across from him. Henrietta heats up some more for the both of them and sits down.

Mori gives a soft smile and pulls down her braids. She slowly pulls them apart with her fingers and sweeps it behind her. It looked silky and the silver hairs sparkled in the light.

"Alma was nice," she nodded. "Simple."

"Most of the children are nice." Henrietta pushed Leouch's hair out of his face and he made a face.

"Most," he replied.

The rest of the breakfast was silent. When they were done they stacked their plates and Henrietta sat them in the sink turning on the water. She paused, wiped her hands on her hips, and shut the water off.

"No cleaning." She quietly whispered before seeing that her kids had already left the room.

Leouch slipped into the bath and rolled his shoulders. The water came up to his collar and smelled like cedar. Or maybe it was the coals. Something smelled like cedar. He rubbed the hot water against his face and back into his hair. He grabbed a roughly shaped brick of soap and brought it into the tub.

When the water turned white with small little bubbles he slid down. Later tonight he would make it to the Peridot Sea and cross it to The Empire. He would see familiar faces and the large empty feeling castle. Then the other children would come and the last judgment would happen over the next few weeks. Along with the balls, the classes, and the never-ending vying with his step-siblings.

And O.

He smiled and slipped further into the water. His cheeks turned pink. O was the only good thing about going to The Empire especially during such a bad time. The smile dropped a bit. He'd also be seeing his father, the King Crown, and he'd no doubtfully ask about Mori.

Back in his room, he opened the chest at the end of his bed and pulled out a new set of clothes. It wasn't a hard choice since most of it was black and the rest wasn't allowed during mourning. Leouch slipped on his best dress clothes and buttoned his shirt up to his neck.

He was just finishing up with his suitcase when there was a knock at the door. He knew it was time. Mordecai jumped down to the desk and then up onto Leouch's shoulder. He quickly pulled out a stack of lavender letters from his desk and tucked them under his arm.

"Go to the front door, Cai," he commanded watching the Crowten jump to the floor and hop down the hall.

"Leouch! The carriage is here for you."

He dragged the suitcase behind him and threw the blanket over his shoulder. Standing at the door was a dark man and his mother. His sister waved to him from the chair in the corner. He walked out to the porch where Mordecai was searching for bugs.

"Be safe, Meazo. I love you. Tell your father hello." She patted his back and shut the door behind him.

Through the window, he could see Vivian smiling. This would be the last time he'd see her for a long time. He hoped the river would be gentle to cross. He nodded and stepped down and towards the carriage. The man opened the door and took his luggage to the back. He lifted it onto the shelf and buckled the straps.

"This will be the last time I pick you up as a Child of the Crown, Lord Blisque." He smiled and lifted Mordecai up into the carriage and shut the door. Leouch looked through the small window at the man.

"I pray the next time you'll be calling me King." The man laughed and climbed onto the front. He whipped the strap and the horses carried him down the street.

He looked out at the onlookers standing behind their windows and from their porches. Some waved and some just stared. The many children playing in the crossroads stood as close to the cart as they could and reached up for Leouch. He reached back barely brushing their fingers. One of the little girls called out to him.

"Proceed as Lord and return as King! Phene bring praise upon us." She pulled her younger siblings to her and he couldn't look away. It was only until they descended the hill that he sat back down.

Suddenly a lump was in his throat. They needed him to sit on the throne. They wouldn't be safe out of the district without him. The citizens of Euphinnia wouldn't stop burning shops and spitting in their faces until he proved them wrong. He wrang his hands deep in thought. Valicians weren't cowards.