Chapter Nine

The party went well and Lana relaxed. She felt an easing now that Brad was back. She didn't ask him where he'd been and he didn't offer any answers but they had an amazing time talking.

When it was time to go, she bit the bullet and took Mini's advice. "Hey?"

"Yeah?" He put on his coat.

"I don't know if you're busy this Saturday but would you like to go to dinner?" She held her breath.

His brows climbed and his eyes widened. "Oh?"

She almost took it back but remembered she was Lana Hernandez. She was amazing. "Yeah."

He waited three seconds before nodding his head. "I'd love to."

Her eyes widened in shock. "Really?"

"Yeah." He gave her a crooked smile. "I'll call you. I gotta go. Bye, Lana. Bye, guys!"

The party (what was left of it) waved. "Bye, Brad!"

He swept out and was gone.

Lana blinked, unsure of what just happened but she knew she was happy.

Her girls surrounded her. "How'd it go?!"

"He said yes."

Quelly Green and Ly began screaming.

The kids mimicked them.

"Joy..." Mini groused. "Now we have to calm them down."

Lana threw herself on her bestie. "Thank you so much! You were right!"

Mini patted her back. "Where ya goin?"

Lana's eyes grew.

***

Brad texted Lana three days later, asking if it was okay that he got her number from Mini.

She responded that it was fine.

That let him know she was by her phone so he called her. "Hey?"

"Hi."

"How's it going?"

"It's going."

"How are you?"

"I'm fine. You?"

"I'm okay. I know you asked me out for Saturday but can I plan it?"

There was silence for a moment before. "Yes."

He knew he was throwing her for a loop. "Okay. I'll call you Friday with details. I gotta go. Bye."

"Bye." She was barely able to eek out before he hung up.

He immediately called Mini. "I did it."

"How'd she sound?" Mini didn't bother with hellos either.

"Startled."

"Good. We're going to romance the shit out of her. She's going to want you to the exclusion of all reason."

He blushed. "I- I've never heard of that before."

"That's okay, Tobin. Just stick with me and you'll be married in no time." Mini hung up.

He blinked. Mini was a character. But was she right? Would he marry Lana? Did he want to marry Lana? His skin grew feverish as he thought about calling Lana his wife. Maybe Mini knew what she was talking about?

***

Lana flapped her hands awkwardly in the direction of her sweaty armpits. "He hasn't called yet!"