Prologue

The setting sun cast a murderous shadow over the battlefield.

Cultivators clashed as their sword swung and stabbed.

Amidst the screams of chaos and discord a melody played, sweet and sorrowful.

The flute whistled a song, alluring, while the qin strummed a suppressing tune.

A pair of eyes silver and gold were fixated on a single figure standing atop the stairs of a desolated palace. Robes of blue and red danced across the field of war carefully making their way towards the man.

Seas of purple and blue splashed with a dot of green cleared the way for them to move. The Lan Leader was unsure of his brother's actions but helped him nonetheless. Unbeknownst to him, the thoughts of a figure in purple were running along a parallel trail.

The two watched as their respective siblings crept behind the man adorned in Qishan's robes, trying to not gain his attention. The song was now being played faster and faster, a harmony both soothing and dangerous. The setting sky seemed to be in their favour as it turned to a darker hue. A raven's cry could be heard above, as the world moved slower before picking up speed.

It all happened in a flash.

The last thing Jiang Cheng saw was his brother and Lan Wangji both reaching for the floating metal before a surge of energy pushed everyone away. Luckily it only affected the corpses more than it did the cultivators, giving them the upper hand.

The fight went on but it was clear as day that the Wens were losing.

It wasn't until Baxia went through Wen Rouhan's throat that they noticed the disappearance of two specific cultivators.

The Lans and Jiangs searched around for their beloved brothers, but failed to find any trace of them. The Yin Iron had disappeared alongside the two, yet no one but the Jins bothered much about it.

The remaining two Jiang Siblings held out hope for their brother, Yanli leaving out soup for him every night. The Lans prayed in their own way, copying rules or something Jiang Cheng didn't think about it. He regretted not knowing what happened to his brother those three months, and he regretted not getting help for him. Maybe if he had, Wei Wuxian would still be here. Jiang Cheng shook his head to rid himself of those thoughts. Whatever, Lan Wangji was most likely with him, that was a safe bet. If that Ice Block of a Jade really was with his brother, he had better take good care of Wuxian. And if he didn't, well then... Zidian sparkled on his finger, glowing with a murderous intent.

No.That would just ruin the newfound alliance between Lan and Jiang. No, Jiang Cheng would just leave him to Yanli. Yes, that was the better option.

Lan Xichen gazed at the documents laid outin front of him. How was he supposed to focus on his duties when his brother was still not found ? Sometimes, he thought, the Elders really got on his nerves. When his brother had spoken about helping Wei Wuxian, the idea was immediately shut down by them. Wangji had been shocked, not at being rejected, but the way the Elder had said it. Lan Mengcui was his name. He always had a vendetta against the brothers, Xichen was unsure as to why. He hoped that wherever he was, Wangji was okay. And that Wuxian was with him. Though they lead different paths, and thought misunderstandings sprung up between the two, Xichen could see the amount of trust and respect they had for each other.

Even when Wangji scolded him for cultivating a different path, Wuxian was hanging around him just as much and Wangji hung on to him just as much. No matter how many fights they had, Xichen could see just how much they needed each other. He picked up the brush and dipped it in the in, letting a few drops fall before gliding it across the paper.

The only way for them to realise the feeling between them, is to talk it out. A silent prayer was said in Xichen's heart. He prayed that his brother would return to him soon, and he prayed to the gods and immortals that if Wei Wuxian was with him, that they've talked things through. If not, then it seemed he would have to take things in his own hands.

                                               ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

   Miles away, at the foot of a hidden mountain, amber eyes fluttered open.

 The first thing that Lan Wangji noticed was the damp grass beneath his body. As his eyes darted about his surroundings recollection of the previous day flooded through his mind. His gaze landed on a single figure.

  He squinted his eyes to get a better look at the red clad man. Little by little as the haze in his eyes disappeared, a beautiful face came into view.

  Wei Ying

   Lan Wangji pushed himself off the ground with much effort, before dropping on the ground like a sack of potatoes.

  As he lay there contemplating his situation, a peculiar fragrance tickled his nose. It felt nostalgic, reminding him of a certain cottage surrounded with gentians.

  He again tried to get back up, but was stopped by a woman's voice.

    " Stop," she said. " You'll only hurt yourself more ,"

The woman leaned over him and grabbed his wrist. Two fingers were placed along his spiritual pathways. Wangji took a good look at her, well her build at least for her face was hidden behind a veiled bamboo hat.

She didn't look like she belonged to any sect. Her robes were a rich peach colour. Intricate designs decorated the obviously high quality pieces of fabric. A sword hung by her waist. Wangji couldn't quite read the characters engraved on it.

The woman then walked over to Wei Ying. She did the same to him, except... she seemed to hesitate.

" No...it can't be.."

Her voice was a whisper, carried by the wind. It was almost impossible to be heard. But Wangji did. His mind started to work.

What was this woman talking about ? Who was she ?

As if reading his mind, the woman stood and turned to Lan Wangji.

" Do not be afraid little Lan, I will give you no harm," she said. " I am merely here to assist you, "

Some other time Lan Wangji would have voiced his doubts. Not now. He was tired, and besided, she didn't harm Wei Ying. At least he hoped she wouldn't.

For now he would just trust this woman to help, Wangji thought as the last strand of conciousness drifted out of him.

· ·