The One Where They Surprise Their Parents [Part II]

Aika felt that she needed to do something else just so their parents could celebrate their anniversary together despite their busy schedules. The children were very much aware of how their parents would kill to make time, but it's campaign season. They're trying to end world hunger, a constant family joke at the dinner table.

After the phone call with Leni, a car honks in front of the house.

"Si mama na ata yan," Kiko said as he peaked at the window. Everyone panicked but Sinta, being the calmest of them, went out and opened the gate.

"Hi Mom." She kissed her mom. "Buti na lang you're here na. Kanina ko pa tinatawagan si Ate Aika para sana mag padrive."

"It's eight na in the evening, bakit pa kayo aalis?" Risa said, eyebrows furrowed.

"I need to buy something for my retdem po ei. Very important sya, Mom."

"Okay sige. Close the gate and hop in," Sinta then signalled everyone inside.

I told her I needed to buy materials for my retdem. Text me kapag malapit na si Tita Leni.

Sinta sent it to their group chat.

"May isa pa tayong problema" Aika nervously said. "Akala ni Mama nasa condo ako? Paano natin siya papupuntahin dito?'

"Tell her someone's trying to open your door so you asked me to fetch you" Kiko suggested.

"Hindi ba maha highblood si Mama niyan?" Tricia joined the conversation.

"Hindi naman siguro. Text her na ate para dito na siya dumeretso" Ianna said.

Aika doesn't lie to her Mama very often; in fact, it's a rare occasion when she does, as she is usually the one who is tricked by her Mama. When their father passed away, Aika's role as an ate evolved into that of a second mother. To Aika, the comic relief of having to lie now outweighs the nervousness of their siblings. Hirap naman magsurprise ng mga busy politicians na magulang, she whispered.

Good thing Jill was upstairs trying to wash off the remnants of the airplane's recycled air and the smell of the aircraft.

"Oy!!! Pati si Jillian nakalimutan natin itago, pero buti naliligo," Aika screamed, which made the siblings laugh so hard but Issa took it harder. She couldn't stop laughing at the thought of how their once peaceful, busy lives became so chaotic when their big family became bigger.

"Wait ako rin natatawa!!!" Ianna added to the cheers and giggles of Issa.

"No joke guys, as an ate of these two, I love having ates because Kuya Kiko is annoying minsan pero the point is, I appreciate you, Ate Aika and Ate Tricia."

This leaves Tricia bawling and Aika tearing up a little. Kiko chimes in, "Same sentiment with Is, pero sorry Trish, tawang tawa ako every time umiiyak ka."

In spite of their best efforts, they couldn't help but laugh as Tricia fought the urge to weep uncontrollably even harder. True to their nature, the HontiBaraqs and the Robredos have never been this happy since their fathers passed away. Inasmuch as education and professional development are important in their own family circles, they derive their greatest strength from their immediate family. Each HontiBredo child could not be more grateful for the fact that they are bonded to one another as a result of their mothers' genuine love for each other.

Mom, dito ka na po dumiretso kila MaAn. Kiko fetched me when I called him. Mahabang kwento kaya pag uwi mo na lang. Ingat sa byahe. I'll wait for you here.

Okay, Aiks! Kalalapag lang din namin! Driving home in a few.

The moment Aika received her mother's SMS, she hurried to notify Sinta that Leni was probably only a few minutes away from their house.