prologue.

now playing: gravity.

PROLOGUE : RUNNING.

total escape.

Everything must be equal. Everyone must be equal. You must treat others equally. Everything would be "fair," that way. This was the world Miyang lived in. 

In the country of Caeg, there were certain rules. Everyone must live in similar houses, and live similar lives. Everyone is given the same amount of money every month, and they must return everything that is left by the end of the month. 

You must treat everyone in the same way, with no exceptions. You must not give or receive anything from others. You must live your life with what you are given by the government.

There were many rules, but the most important rule of all was to NEVER escape. To never allow yourself to be influenced by the foolish and selfish ideas of the "outside world." That was what everyone was told to believe. In their minds, Caeg was the only safe place. The only place where things are fair. Everywhere else was a cruel place.

MIYANG'S POV

Still shaken after my adrenaline-driven escape, I stood outside the tall wall that separated Caeg from the rest of the world.

I had been growing tired of being restricted by the endless list of unnecessary rules. No. to me, everything I had previously believed in seemed like a lie.

Caeg was the only safe place. 
lie.

Caeg was different from the cruel world outside.
lie.

Caeg was fair.
lie.

all lies.

Caeg was a cage, Caeg was a lie.
truth.

If Caeg was such a wonderful place, then why were there so many people trying to run away? So many people trying to run away, most of them ending up dead.

I'm not dead yet, though. I thought to myself as I stopped for a second to catch my breath. 

But... where to, now? Shit, this is what I get for being impulsive.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang through the air, snapping me back to reality. I didn't have time to ponder or create a plan. I saw the others running. Some of them were wounded. All of them looked terrified. I held my breath.

"Miyang, let's go." My friend, Jia, had tears in her eyes. Jia had been abducted from the outside world at a young age and was raised in Caeg. I knew that she was just as happy to escape as I was, perhaps even more. I followed Jia, who knew the outside world more than I did.

After a few more hours of running away from our pursuers, we finally reached the lively city of Arlens. Crashing through the crowded streets, they dispersed into the chaos of the rowdy, yet somehow comforting place.

end of chapter.

★ author's note:
wow. it's been a long, long while since ive written
anything... but one thing hasn't changed. i still upload chapters
out of impulse, on a midnight, before an important day.
yeah, i need to wake up early tomorrow but im writing a wattpad story instead.
wish me luck on my exams!
- euna