1 || Do You Resent Me?

Chapter One

The sounds of wooden swords hitting each other could be heard all over the castle.

Everyone knows the two famous sparring partners.

Who? What do you mean 'who'?

...

You don't know them? Impossible.
You're not joking?
You must be new to the Kingdom of Mondstadt.
No?
My, my... this will be an interesting story for you, then.

——

The sound of wooden swords clashing could be heard all over the castle.
Who's the pair that's sparring, you ask?

Well,

Prince Ajax and the honorary knight.

Although this 'knight' has reached the title of 'honorary knight', the reason she still trains with the Prince is known by everyone in the kingdom, and the people with the most knowledge of this? Well, of course it's the people working inside the castle.

This knight was once known as 'Lumine', a normal girl who was fortunate enough to meet the Prince and make ties with him. So, yes, they've been friends for a long time.

Even as she had a lowly title compared to the Prince, she was granted the opportunity to enter the castle as she pleases and play with him, and she could leave whenever she wants.

Quite the privilege for such a young girl from the village.

They grew up together watching the knight's train everyday, and even play as knight's themselves whenever they had time.

When she turned twelve, Aja— Prince Ajax took her and her brother, Aether, in as knights.

That was quite a dream come true for the both of them, and they found a source of income for their daily lives.

"You shall not starve or struggle anymore, as you are now under the protection of the castle. You shall be fed and given proper rest whenever you need it."

But... Somehow, a certain knight forgot all about that right and privilege.

Thump.

I kept quiet as I watched her fall onto the ground.

'You lost again, Lumi.'

I somehow couldn't find the courage to tell her that anymore.

"Nice work as usual, Honorary Knight." I reached out my hand towards her.
"You always exceed my expectations." I added after a few moments of silence.

I waited for a few more moments, but she just kept staring at the ground.

I lost hope, and slowly put my hand away.