07. the cool kids

– the cool kids –

The honking of cars, the stressed students' mumbling everywhere around me – I'm not used to it anymore. I've grown accustomed to the harmony the past few days brought to me. I loathed the part where our group was lost, but the factors surrounding me right now are causing me too much tension.

      The image in my head of lounging in the long grass makes my heart swell. Looking back at what we did to make our way to Mother Barista, the pub, I find myself longing to go back in time and relive all of it. Everything's better than this – even being lost and stuck together with kids from other schools, including Aidan Gallagher.

      Today's the day. One of our schools is going to win, though no one's really sure which one it will be this year, knowing that a certain group got lost while tracking.

      I breathe in and out, try to squeeze myself through the many huddled up bodies, and find the kindest soul in the immense mass of students, Mary Swan. She's right there, softly moving her head on the beat she's listening to through her earphones. It appears she too feels the urge to forget the hectic situation we're in. When she notices a figure coming right toward her (me), she grins, waving her fingers ever so softly before putting away the devices planted in her ears.

      It takes one final push through a group of students to get to her. "Hey," I breathe.

      "Hi," she replies, grinning more broadly each passing second. "How are you liking the award ceremony?"

      I puff and wipe the sweat off my forehead. "I love it," I say, though my voice already shows the amount of sarcasm imprinted on the few words. "You?"

      "Never been happier."

      Another person joins us. Someone with long blond hair, which has been braided prettily. You wouldn't believe these are the very same locks from days ago. "Hello, you," she whispers to Mary, a soft smile upon her glistering lips. Then, she turns to me. "Hello." I nod almost awkwardly, again feeling like I'm one person too much.

      Will's the next one to find his way to us. He towers over us three girls without a problem, his wide smile a welcome gesture. I haven't seen a smile like his in a long, long time. "We're back, motherfuckers," he murmurs, drumming his side into me.

      "Good afternoon to you, too." I roll my eyes, though the lifting of the corners of my lips betrays me soon after. A surprising familiarity strikes me down as I lean against the boy, watching the two girls, who are quite unable to get their hands off each other. During our time, the rivalry changed. I grew accustomed with these people, even though they're supposed to be one thing alone: my so called enemies. And they are, at some point. But they're also my friends. They became it through all sorts of memories, through our discussions, through shared burdens – all thanks to the stupidest task to ever exist.

      "Where's the last one?" Will asks softly, since we're still leaning against each other. We're practically connected this way, my back against his front.

      "I don't have a clue," I answer. "He could be anywhere."

      "Yeah," he mumbles. "It's hard to find our asshole in a swarm of 'em." I chuckle, feeling my body move with as I do so. We're indeed looking for one specific asshole, one I've known for years, one I will continue to know for many more to follow. I now have all sorts of thoughts and feelings toward Aidan Gallagher, and I'm sure many will continue to come.

      For such a long time have I clung to the hatred I felt toward the boy and the passion that came with it. I hated him so badly I wanted to defeat him. I wanted him gone out of the field, but that seemed impossible. It was and it still is. So why not become better than what you wish to get out of the way? By doing so, there's certainty they'll forget all about him and remember you.