1. My Worst Enemy

The kingdom of Glanzreich stands tall, bathed in bright sunlight. From the royal palace, the sprawling kingdom looks somewhat glittering, true to its name. It truly is so captivating that one might just spend their entire morning sitting in a comfortable armchair near the large glass windows, sipping piping hot coffee from a ceramic mug with a good book in hand and gazing out, now and then. Alas, I do not have the luxury to do so. Being the Royal Tutor and having the responsibility to groom four headache-inspiring princes into worthy candidates for the kingdom's throne doesn't give one time for oneself. However, some of that golden light steals in through the wide open windows to fill the spacious room, lighting up an (ahem) short figure and his very bored-looking charge.

Sparing the view a brief glance, I lightly tidy up my messy side table and peer over my glasses at Leonhard, who seems to be squirming in his seat. It is the better part of the day - given the natural light - and the worst part of the day for Leonhard, I believe.

"Madri has a very unique culture," I tap my teacher's pointer on the blackboard for emphasis, "Also, the history of the kingdom is very profound... Prince Leonhard, are you listening?" 

The prince stares straight out of the window behind the blackboard, not even pretending to look at it. And to think that I am avoiding the same window in order to concentrate... 

"Prince Leonhard?"

"Does it look like I have a choice?"

He's at it again... " Do you wish for a choice? \" I watch him carefully. He just grumbles in response, twirling a pen between his slender fingers. Very elegant of him - as he would usually be throwing a tantrum by now. 

Choice, huh? 

Well, time for a much-needed lesson.

I put down my pointer on the side table and walk up to his desk.

"Your Highness," I deepen my voice to drive my point home, "You are a prince and a potential candidate for the throne of this kingdom. It is absolutely required of the future king to have good knowledge of the neighboring kingdoms' history, culture, language and geography, among other things, in order to establish strong relations with them. If you are serious about being amply eligible for the throne, please do not take your studies lightly. Are we clear?" I try not to let irritation lace my voice. Leonhard stares at me with blank eyes. Then, as the meaning of my words dawn upon him, his face shifts from baffled to startled, and then settles on infuriated.

"I'm not..." Leonhard groans in frustration, "Fine. Whatever. I'm still annoyed anyway."

"Of course, you're fully entitled to." I pick up my pointer once more, " Shall we continue then?"

"God, you're ANNOYING!" He exhales, "Yes, PLEEEEASE do..."

"Good." I turn back towards the blackboard and start writing. " As I was saying, Madri has a very complicated history, so we will study it later." I get the feeling that a pair of eyes are watching me very warily. "For now, we shall focus on the geography of Madri and- "

"Heine..."

"Yes prince?"

"Don't do that!"

I blink, completely taken aback. "Pardon?"

Leonhard makes a point of not looking at me. "The way you just launched into a lecture about being future king and stuff, it's really... scary. Also, you start to use such hard-to-understand words like potential, vast and eligible..." 

Those words are hard to understand for a 15 year old. Alright.

He's uncomfortable with this topic and tries to avoid it at all costs - and of course, I smack him in the face with it. My bad.