the queens ball

(the ball dress)

~

"Oh I do look most ridiculous." Grace pouted to her older sister, Daphne, whilst staring at herself in the mirror, which reflected herself in tonights ball gown.

"No, Grace, you look most desirable." Daphne corrected her.

"Well my face is far from that. Why can't men see women more than just their face or what type of silk they are wearing that night, what about my brain? My wit! My.. elegance?" Grace picked up her book and held it tightly, she never went anywhere without a good book on hand, tonight would be no acceptance.

"You're face is most refreshing, my lady." Lacey, Grace's maid, reassured her.

"Oh Lacey, when one day I'm married off to some pompous old fool who only desires a prize to show off, I'll bring you with me. To the countryside, perhaps?" Grace took the hands of her maid as they both grinned at one another. Lacey was not much older than Grace, just two years, falling at 18.

"Well, ma'am, I do certainly hope you go further than me. Only of course meaning that I was never able to marry to some rich old fellow." She began to tighten the bust on the dress.

"Goodness, Grace, your.. chest.. has grown!" Daphne widened her eyes and stepped back.

"Oh my word, this was not meant for my ears!" Collin quickly swivelled back through the door he had entered through not seconds ago. Grace, Daphne and Lacey all giggled at their brother and Lord.

"Mama! Come and look, Grace is all finished up and ready to go to the Queen's ball!" Daphne called out the open oak door.

"Coming!" Violet sounded from down the hallway.

"Oh, Daphne, how I'm so pleased you were able to come back in time for my first true ball. No matter how much I will tremendously despise it, I will be truly happy that you're there with me." Grace kissed her sisters cheek as their mother entered the room, interrupting Grace's declaration of sistership with a sharp gasp.

"Oh, Grace, you look perfect." Grace found herself in a tight embrace with her mother.

"Family, we depart soon!" Anthony called loudly from down the marble stairs.

"Just a little longer!" Grace called as she began fixing a pearl necklace on.

"Make haste!" Benedict shouted.

~

"Oh my, it's more beautiful than when I myself was here, looking for love." Daphne fawned over the freshly picked tulips and babys breath.

"It is quite the scene." Grace said agreeably.

"Grace, make sure your eyes are open tonight. You are the diamond, every man will be fawning over you." Her mother smiled as they made their entrance. They went over to the Queen to announce their entry to her.

"You look ravishing tonight." A young, rather attractive, man approached Grace.

"Ah, this is Sir George, a good friend of mine. Sir George, this is Lady Grace." Anthony shook his old friends hand and smiled.

"Lovely to make your acquaintance." Grace smiled, secretly wishing she wouldn't have to dance too much tonight.

"May I have this dance?" Sir George slowly put his hand out, hoping Grace would take it. Grace slowly looked over to Anthony, who nodded in approval.

"You may." She took his hand and the two wisked away to the dance floor.

"So, Lady Grace, what would you be looking for in a husband?" George made conversation as they swirled about, their faces inches from one another.

"Straight in are we? Also, please call me Grace. I'd be looking for someone smart, kind, someone who wants the same life I want." She replied, staring deeply into his eyes. He moved his hand from the top of her back to her waist, making Grace's heartbeat faster and breath deeper.

"What kind of life is that?" He asked, picking her up by the waist and twirling her around, just as the rest of the dancers were doing.

"A nice house, preferably in the countryside, gardens that could go for perhaps miles, filled with flowers and plants- inside and out. Two, maybe three kids, not too many. To be in love and not just marry because our families say so." Grace went deep into thought, still staring into George's eyes.

"That's beautiful, Grace." George bowed to Grace as the dance finished.

"Thank you." She grinned back at the man she could potentially marry one day.

"Would you like a refreshment, my Lady?" He asked the innocent girl standing in front of him.

"I would be delighted." Grace smiled back.

"He would make a great husband, Grace." Her mother took her by surprise.

"Oh my! You frightened me, mother!" She laughed.

"My apologies, Lady Grace." Her mother jokingly mocked the way Sir George addressed Grace.

"I'm going out for a breath of fresh air." Grace nodded her head to her mother and made her way to the open doors that lead to the large palace gardens, smiling away as she stood with potted flowers.

"Oh yeah, she's a piece and a half." Grace heard a familiar voice say from around the corner, followed by unfamiliar laughs.

"Will you court her then? Propose?" A man said as Grace slowly walked towards the voices.

"Lady Grace? No. She's not worth my time and would most likely lead to a life of hard work. She's got a nice face, though, and a great deal of money, a title. If I were to marry her, it would only be for those reasons." Grace turned the corner and met eyes with the voice, which belonged to no other than Sir George.

"If I'm not worth your time maybe you should be asking for a dance from some other young Lady." She crossed her arms, not backing down.

"Grace. I- I didn't mean it, we were joking right gentlemen?" The men around him looked away awkwardly.

"I have never met anyone so arrogant and ignorant as you." Grace raised her voice.

"You're making a scene, Grace, calm down." George began walking towards Grace.

"Don't come any closer. I may be a girl but I am not as weak, stupid nor fragile as you may think." She continued to stand her ground.

"Don't be silly, we were joking!" George held his hands out, attempting to quiet her.

"If you would excuse me, gentlemen, I will be taking my leave. I'm sure my brother would love to know how his friends talk about his sister." She mocked the words 'gentlemen' and 'friends.'  Tears of anger and frustration filled her eyes as she approached her brother.

"Grace, whats happened?" Anthony quickly took his sisters hand.

"Your 'friend' George is certainly not for me, and never will be. He seems to think me as an object waiting for him to claim me as his prize. I wish to make our leave. Now." She spat.