Chapter 1

As a child, Ansley always had a connection with dogs. They always trusted her and were much calmer when she was around. That's what led her to pursuing the field of animal medication. She had finally finished up her last semester of tech classes and had gotten her veterinary technician certification and was excited to move back to her home town of Beacon Hills. She originally wanted to move somewhere else, to a place that didn't remind her of her high school best friend but many factors were preventing her from doing that and she was now in the process of moving back into her childhood bedroom.

There were only a few boxes left in the hallway for her to unpack when she heard the tapping from her brother's window. Being six years older than Scott, she felt the need to protect him, even if it was from making stupid mistakes. Ansley looked down the hall to see her brother, who should have been asleep, walking down the stairs with a baseball bat.

"None of us even play baseball, why do you have a bat?" She asked him from the top of the stairs. Her brother jumped as he turned to look up at Ansley.

"There's something outside," He tells her, ignoring her original question. He turned back to the door and opened it.

Ansley shook her head but stood watching from the top of the stairs. No one was outside the door, causing Scott to look back at her with a confused look. Suddenly, a person fell from the roof of the porch and got caught causing them to hang upside down. Scott let out a scream and held the bat up as if he were going to hit the person but stopped when he realized who it was. As the screaming stopped, Ansley saw that it was her brother's best friend, Stiles. She shook her head as she turned back to finish unpacking, tuning out the conversation they were having.

She had just finished unpacking another box when she heard the front door close. She looked out into the hallway again to see her brother gone. He had school the next morning and knew that their mom would kill him if she found out that he snuck out on a school night. "Dammit Scott," she muttered as she ran down the stairs to try to stop him. She opened the front door to see him getting into Stiles' jeep. "Where do you think you're going?"

Scott looked at her from where he was sitting in the jeep. "I'll be back soon. Stiles just wants to show me something." He tried to shut the door but Ansley shook her head.

"You both have school in the morning."

"Then don't tell her," Scott tries to argue.

"Better yet, come with us to make sure we're safe," Stiles suggests from the driver's seat. Scott looks over at him shaking his head in protest. Ansley looked at the pair, unsure of what to do. She wasn't really in the mood to argue with her brother so she climbed into the back of Stiles' jeep.

"Let's go then," she told them as she pulled out her phone and started playing a game on it. She wasn't really interested in what was going on but she wanted to make sure Scott didn't get into any trouble. She was completely unaware of their conversation until she heard the words ''dead body." She looked up to see that they were driving through the middle of the woods. "You're going to see a dead body?" She asked with disgust. She was fine with helping out on the veterinary operating table but the thought of seeing a dead human body grossed her out.

"Half of a dead body," Stiles corrected her as he started to slow down. They were getting near the lights of police cars. Before getting too close, he pulled off to the side of the road and parked.

"That doesn't make it any better," Ansley muttered. "I'm staying in the car."

"Suit yourself," Scott said as he and Stiles climbed out of the Jeep and wandered off into the woods. Ansley locked the door behind them even though the soft top of the jeep wouldn't provide much safety. She had a feeling that something bad was about to happen but she didn't know what and she sure as hell wasn't leaving the vehicle. She returned to the game on her phone and tried not to worry about what could possibly happen.