Ch.1 (A new detective)

Taking a deep breath you put on your best smile. The heavy iron doors clicked tight behind you as you signed yourself in.

This was it; a new start just like you wanted. A job that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Wondering if it'll backfire any day, week, month, or even years that your name ends up a tomb. The desk spat dust everywhere as you pulled up to it. Clearly it's been a while since anyone has needed this office.

A few minutes after you had set everything up, a quick light knock came from the door.

"Enter!" You half shouted. A man with a tan leather jacket rounded the door holding some files and a coffee.

"I was just about to head home for the day and saw you walk in." He smiled, setting everything on the desk. "I'm officer Daniel Rigg. Heard you were the new recruit and wanted to bring you your first case; and a welcome gift".

I held out my hand "Thank you. I'm detective (Y/n) (L/n). I don't mean to bother but could you show me around real quick?" I smiled. "I don't want to get myself lost or confused on the first day". It wasn't a complete lie; I did need to know the layout of the station but I'm not just here to solve cases.

"Yeah, sure just follow me!" Rigg led me around the station chiming in a random story here or there about his work. I was introduced to almost everyone. Some are more friendly than others, but I think I can manage being here. I felt like Rigg was aimlessly dragging me around at one point until he pulled me to the coffee maker.

"Hoffman, your new partner has finally arrived. This is detective (L/n). Try not to scare her off." Rigg stepped aside letting me get a good look at him. "Nice to meet you, Mark Hoffman. I'll be working closely with you on cases for now on; I'll be following your lead". His demeanor already told me my choice of words didn't sit well with him.

"I'm aware already. I was informed you were hired at yesterday morning's briefing" his words held irritation behind them as he continued "though I don't think you'll be working that close with me seeing you just started rookie. It can get dangerous in the cases we do". I laughed half heartedly crossing my arms "I can assure you detective Hoffman I am more than capable and I'm skilled at what I do." I said my goodbyes and headed back to my office. I could feel his eyes burn bullet holes into my skull as I made it to my room.

Sighing as I sank into my seat once more I started some light work to put in a few hours. The files held some of the events that have happened in the last few months. People have been disappearing all around town only to be found dead in complex traps and a puzzle piece cut out of their flesh. The press had named the killer the Jigsaw Killer, earning the case to be called the jigsaw case.

Reading on there was a few names highlighted. All being suggested suspects and people who they'd like to interview. Two names really stood out to me: 'Jill Tuck' and 'Amanda Young'. Former Wife of John Kramer and former victim to Jigsaw's games. I wonder if either of them would be willing to talk anytime soon or are they shying away from everyone.

Stretching my back straight again from leaning over the desk writing I rubbed my face getting ready to close up and head home for the evening. Setting the final decoration on my desk I stopped to admire it. It was a picture of my mom and brother I had taken of them about a week before we had our whole life changed upside-down.

I rubbed the left side of my collarbone letting my face fall finally after forcing a smile all day. The scar ran deep from my collar down diagonally to the top of my ribs on my side.

I wonder how they would feel about how I managed to get here. Would they be proud of the person I had to become? Or would they prefer I was with them? Smiling again I grabbed my keys and signed myself out. The same iron clicking sound as I left the building. The heavy work was about to begin