Recycling Lead-Acid Batteries to produce Lead Ingots

The promising future of Lead is linked to the growth of the lead-acid battery industry. As we have discussed before, the substitution of lead in batteries seems unlikely owing to its reliability and efficient lead waste recycling mechanisms.

What are Lead-acid batteries?

They are rechargeable batteries that are commonly used as automotive batteries in vehicles for starting, lighting, and ignition also known as SLI batteries. Lead-acid batteries also find applications in sustainable markets such as electric vehicles, energy storage, start-stop automotive systems.

Lead-acid batteries are the primary market for Lead

Lead from recycled lead-acid batteries has become the main source of lead worldwide.
This is because of the use of lead in car battery manufacturing. Statistics show that nearly 85% of total refined lead production in the world is utilized by lead-acid battery manufacturers.

Infrastructure for Recycling Lead-acid batteries

Saraswati Spinning and Weaving Mills, Kala Amb, in Sirmaur, is a prominent manufacturer and supplier of Lead Ingots. We have a production facility to meet the rising demand for lead ingot manufacturing. We produce remelted lead ingots from Raw Lead / Battery Scraps / Lead Scraps and other scraps of lead.

The infrastructure usually required for lead ingot manufacturing comprises Rotary Furnaces, Blast Furnace, and Refining Kettles.

Sourcing for Recycling of Lead-acid batteries

Battery waste is collected from different parts of the country. Since lead-acid batteries find applications in starting/powering cars, trucks, buses, boats, etc, the scrap is widely and easily available. It is important to note that all components of lead-acid batteries are recyclable. So lead-acid batteries must be recycled as much as possible, otherwise, the materials in the battery are a threat to the environment.

At Saraswati Spinning and Weaving Mills, our processes comply with environmental norms. We carry out recycling of used Lead-acid Battery scrap, Remelted Lead Ingots, Lead Scraps to produce Pure Lead and Lead Alloy Ingots.

The process of Recycling Lead-acid Battery

Used battery scraps are remelted in Blast Furnace / Rotary Furnace to produce Remelted Lead Ingot, which contains 97% - 98.5% of Pure Lead with some impurity elements such as As Sb, Ag, Fe, etc. Remelted Lead Ingot is purified in the refining kettles to produce 99.97% of Pure Lead.

Producing Lead Ingots is the final step in Recycling

After smelting used lead scraps to remove impurities in refining kettles, it is delivered to the ingots casting machine where it is cast into solid ingots of commercial size. They are organized in stacks ready to be sold and sent to customers.

These lead ingots are used to manufacture new lead-acid batteries. Thus making the entire process of battery manufacturing and recycling a continuous closed-loop system. If recycling is done properly, then the plastic is also used to make more battery cases.

We offer unparalleled Quality Assurance

Our facilities are technologically equipped aided by experienced industry professionals who work day in and day out to provide quality products and services to our stakeholders.
We follow best practices to ensure that the end product is of high quality and value which includes:

An in-house team of technicians and industry professionals who run quality assurance processes. Our teams of experts choose quality raw materials. They apply advanced techniques to ensure that the products are of the highest quality standards.The lead percentage and other elements in the final product are carefully monitored to ensure that it is of high value.

At Saraswati Spinning and Weaving Mills,we aim to produce quality products that meet consumer demands in the GlobalMarket.