THE GUNSMITH.

July 6th, 2367. 3:12 PM. AFTERNOON, CLEAR SKIES WITH LIGHT WIND, 84 DEGREES

The next day, mid-afternoon, Jake decided to drive to the gunsmith's shop to get properly equipped for his assignment. He pulled up in front of the local establishment, located on the corner of Justice St. and Solstice Ave, near an abandoned alleyway just north of the city. Jake parked his car along the sidewalk, checking all his mirrors before stepping out. As he exited onto the pavement, he scoped out the area once more before entering the alleyway. In passing, Jake noticed a homeless man lying on the ground. As he approached the man, he began to beg, offering up the last of his possessions for drugs.
"Hey man, you got any of those eye drops? I'll give you all that I've got," the old man pleaded. Jake ignored him and continued up the alley. The place was dense with trash, and phone lines spread from building to building up above like spider webs with clothes hung on them to dry. A woman pitched a bucket of water down into the alley from her window, alarming a stray cat and causing it to jump onto a stuffed trash can, slightly startling Jake.

"Hey, you need some protection? I got discounts on weapons," A local dealer called from his left

"Hey, you need some protection? I got discounts on weapons," A local dealer called from his left. This was the everyday life of those who lived in the alleys. They struggled to make a living off street marketing or whatever else could make ends meet.
Jake continued along the cracked, brick pavement, making a left down the path. All that could be heard was the hum of the machinery that powered these buildings. Jake took another left, moving down some stairs. He saw a few kids playing a holographic game on the bottom corner of the steps. Walking past them, Jake arrived at the gunsmith's metal door. He pounded on it three times, then waited.

Kids played basketball in the distance, listening to underground music

Kids played basketball in the distance, listening to underground music. Birds chirped away above Jake. He took it in, pressing his back against the wall and closing his eyes, reminiscing of home, of the good parts, of his love. He wondered how things would have gone if he had never left, if making different decisions would have led him down a different path.
The harsh buzzing of the door startled Jake from his meditative stupor. He stood up as the door unlocked, releasing a loud, metallic clunk. Jake opened the door and walked down a straight, dark hallway, a glimmer of light shining from its other end. He could hear base music emanating faintly from there. As Jake continued down the hallway, a dark blue curtain came into view, and he could smell gun and cigar smoke. The music got louder and louder as he approached, and he recognized the song playing: "Separate Ways," a big hit in Daekrahm.