Part 3: Brighter Than The Sun

Peter came in a couple of hours later. He found you curled up in a chair in the library.
"Did you find anything interesting to read?" he wondered as he stood in the doorway to the library. You lifted the book so he could see the title. You were reading a book about cattle: how to take care of them, sicknesses to look out for, and other things like breeding.
"I didn't figure you would be interested in learning about cattle," Peter commented.
"I just thought it would be good to know more about cattle before the cattle drive," you shrugged and smiled. Peter just nodded.
"I am going to go wash up and then I will start dinner." Peter turned around.
"What about Steve?" you wondered and closed the book. Peter turned back and leaned against the door opening.
"He will probably be a couple more hours. The mare is not doing so well after the foaling, and Clint, the vet, is here to check her out, and then knowing Steve he will probably stay with her a couple of hours," Peter explained and walked away. You put the book back on the shelf and met Peter in the kitchen.
"Do you need any help?" you asked and Peter just shook his head.
"I can cook. And you are our guest," he smiled and took out a couple of steaks and potatoes from the fridge.
"I may be a guest, but I am here to help." You looked around the kitchen.
"Okay," Peter said. "You can make a salad." You smiled and got to work after Peter told you where to find everything you needed. About an hour later you sat down to eat. You had to admit Peter knew how to cook. The steak and the baked potatoes were really good. The two of you talked about his school, where he was applying to university, Nat, and about your education. After the meal, you offered to do the dishes which Peter accepted your help with. He showed you where things were in the kitchen and you talked some about what time they usually ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner, what time Peter went out to do his chores, and what time he usually came home to do the other chores he had inside. He had more chores now that school was out for summer. Peter said he had some things to finish before bed so you said good night. You walked to your room and took a shower.

After your shower, you still felt too awake to go to bed, so you figured you would go downstairs and pick a book from the library to read in bed, but when you came downstairs you looked out and could not resist going outside. You opened the door and walked to the railing on the porch. The air was not too hot or cold, it was perfect. You could hear sounds from the cattle and a horse neigh. There were some birds singing, but it was also a kind of quiet that you were not used to. The air smelled like cattle and horses, but it was not overpowering and there was also another smell in the air. Almost like spring flowers. You leaned against a post and looked out in the night. It was 11 pm here, but in New York, it would be 1 am and you were strangely not tired. You heard steps on the porch and turned around. It was Steve. H looked exhausted but still good-looking. Not even the dark circles under his eye made him look less handsome. And he still made you weak in the knees. You had hoped it was the flight that made you feel that way, the nerves about going to Montana, but it was still true now. So it had to be Steve, right? Or was it just that you were still wired from your trip?
"Hey," you greeted Steve.
"Hey," he said back and put his hands in his front pockets.
"Want me to leave you alone?" you wondered, seeing as he did not say anything more for a while.
"No it's fine," Steve said, but it did not sound like it so you turned to go inside. Steve took a hold of your arm. It was like a spark going in your arm to your entire body and you had to fight to not let out a deep breath. Nope, this could not just be that you were wired.
"No, stay," Steve said, and you lean against the post again. Trying not to stare at him.
"How did it go?" you wondered with a look towards the stables.
"The foal and Cinnamon survived, but it was a hard birth," Steve said and leaned against the other post, looking out into the night.
"I am glad that they survived." You gave Steve a small smile.
"I stayed with them for a while," Steve admitted. "I just wanted to see that there were no more complications."
"I would do the same," you admitted and it became quiet between the two of you again.
"I am sorry," Steve says after a while.
"For what?" you wonder and Steve sighs.
"Nat wanted me to take you into town for dinner," Steve explains.
"Peter explained that you needed to stay with Cinnamon and he made us dinner. Peter is a really good cook," you said and gave Steve a small smile. Steve nodded. "And Peter left food for you," Steve smiled at that. It looked like he could fall asleep standing up.
"Is there anything I can do for you?" You wondered, seeing how tired Steve was and wanting to help him. Steve looked over at you with big eyes.
"No," Steve said and walked to the door. "You better go to bed, things start early here."
You also walked inside and bade him goodnight, and walked to your room. You crawled down in the king size bed and thought about Steve. He had looked so shocked over you offering him help. Was that not something that people did in his life? Or was he the one that was expected to be strong and take care of everyone else? Or was it that you were a stranger? Or the fact that you were Nat's best friend? With those thoughts running in your head you fell asleep.