prologue

I spun around at the abrupt noise of shoes. A tall, sharp man positioned in front of me. Broad shoulders, prominent jawline, his eyes were the colour of emeralds and his hair was curly and disheveled. He held the automatic in his broad hand, with definite precision. I was rather surprised at my calmness when I learned the reason for his presence. "It's a pity to die in ignorance." I said. "He sent you here didn't he?" I poured red wine into a glass from the decanter.
He chuckled, a low, raspy sound."I could be an enemy in my own right."
I had been working on some extensive paperwork in my study when I had heard him and turned. Now I finished pouring from the decanter. "I know the enemies I've made and you are a stranger. Was it him?"
He smiled. "Quite correct. His motive must be obvious."
"Yes, my father has money and apparently he wants it. All of it."
He regarded me objectively. "Your age is?"
"Twenty three."
He clicked his tongue. "You were foolish to believe you were safe Miss Anderson."
I sipped the wine. "I expected offers and requests after they found out he had a daughter. But not death."
"Your father is an incredibly important and wealthy man Miss Anderson. You should've known Andrew would've kept you ransom and threatened to murder you."
My eyes went to the gun. "I assume you've killed before?"
"Yes."
"And obviously you enjoy it."
He nodded. "A morbid pleasure, I admit. But I do."
I watched him and waited. Finally I said, "You have been here for more than two minutes and I am still alive."
"There is no hurry Miss Anderson." He said softly, perching on the edge of my desk.
"Ah then the actual killing is not your greatest joy. You must savour the preceding moments."
"You have insight Miss Anderson."
"And as long as I keep you entertained, in one manner or another, I remain alive?"
"Within a time limit, of course."