Chapter 13

Steve watched through the one-way glass as the teen girl went through yet another round of questioning. She was proving to be very unhelpful and stubborn. Steve had sent in Romanoff to intimidate her, but the girl stayed silent. He had even sent in Barton, to try and play the role of the 'good cop,' and the teenager also ignored him.

Steve crossed his arms in frustration, watching Barton try to coax information out of her.

He took a different approach by attempting to get to know her in a friendly manner. It seemed she was warming up to him. He asked her questions about her hobbies and interests, to which she replied by saying she enjoyed reading and Star Wars. After getting a couple of general, small questions answered, Clint tried to delve a bit deeper into her life.

He asked her about her family and other personal things, and she responded by deflecting most of the questions with 'I don't know' or very short answers. After a few minutes of this, she shut down and wept back to staring at that one specific spot on the wall. Clint took the hint and left the interrogation room.

He checked in to Cap, who was still standing by the one-way glass, with his progress. Clint expressed his concern that the underweight girl was not eating her food. The two were discussing the next possible paths they could take, as they were running out of options. If they couldn't get her to cooperate soon, then there was no point in keeping her at the compound until the month ran up. They would turn her over to Ross early.

All of a sudden, Bucky burst into the room with an urgent look on his face.

"Steve, you've got to let me talk to her," he pleaded.

Steve uncrossed his arms and exchanged a look with Clint, gesturing for him to leave the room.

The pair waited a moment for Clint to leave and shut the door behind him.

"Bucky, I just don't think it's a good idea. You saw how she reacted when she saw you on the roof," Steve said.

"I know her, Steve. I remember her. I'm the one who knows and understands what she went through. She'll listen to me," Bucky explained.

"She might end up distrusting us even more," Steve pointed out.

"Then I'll explain my situation to her. You don't have many other options, right now. Let me talk to her," Bucky insisted.

"Actually, she was starting to answer some of Clint's questions. We could work that angle."

"I'm not backing down, Steve. I went through terrible horrors at Hydra that you can't even begin to comprehend or sympathize with. They could control me with a few words. Even when I escaped, I wasn't truly free from Hydra. I only recovered because of you," Bucky took a shaky breath before continuing, "You were there for me. You knew who I was before. She has no one. I'm the best she has, and I'll be damned if you don't let me talk to her."

Steve crossed his arms and sighed in acceptance.

"Fine," Steve resultantly said, "but if she panics and wants you out, you have to leave this alone."

"Thanks, Punk. You won't regret it," Bucky said as he went to open the door to the interrogation room.

"Whatever, Jerk," Steve called after him.

Bucky closed the door behind him, and Steve thought it was best to give this moment some privacy. He left the one-way glass and headed out of the room, with a small smile on his face. His heart swelled with pride that Bucky had stood up for himself and the girl. He was gaining some of his trademark confidence back.

~~~~~~

Adina was getting bored and tired in the white room. She was bored of having to sit still and keep a blank face while she was grilled with dozens of questions. She was tired because it had been a while since she woke up, and well, being bored always also put her in a tired mood.