Prologue

"You're... you're leaving us?"

Tears were streaming down Lin's face as Kenshiro kneeled before her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"We all must follow our own path in life, wherever it may take us," he spoke solemnly.  "We cannot always walk those paths together."

Looking past her, he saw Bat hanging his head in an attempt to hide his own tears.  Kenshiro knew his departure would come as a devastating blow to the children.  A part of him did not want to leave them, either.  They had come so far, been through so much together.  They were his reason to carry on even when he lost the one thing he cherished most.  Yet fate has its own way of restoring that which seems lost forever.

Light footsteps next to him indicated Yuria's approach as she reached out and placed a hand gently on Lin's face.

"Do not cry, little one.  There is enough sorrow in this world and not enough hope to make up for it.  In the short moment I've known you, I could already see that you carry the light of hope in your heart.  You must never let that light burn out."

Sniffling, Lin nodded her head.  A soft smile spread across Yuria's face as she wiped away Lin's tears.

"And you," turning her attention to Bat, "There is an undying courage deep inside you even if you don't realize it.   I can see it in your eyes."

Bat looked away, feeling doubt but also genuinely touched that anyone could have that sort of faith in a scrappy little pickpocket like him.  He quickly whipped his head back as Ken's shadow fell across him.

"Bat, I want you to promise me something."

"W-what is it Ken?"

"Promise me you'll keep her safe," titling his head toward Lin.  While surprised at first, Bat stood in silence for a moment before he stiffened himself and answered.

"I will Ken.  Just like you would!"

For the first time in a long time, Kenshiro gave a warm smile.  Yuria was absolutely right about him, about both of them.  He also knew just how strong a bond had formed between Lin and Bat during their travels.   Each would stand by the other's side even in the face of danger.

"I will not say this is goodbye forever, for who knows what the future may hold.  Our paths may cross again.  Until such a time comes, remember my words" he said.  With that he turned away to the horizon.  Eyes tearing once more, Bat and Lin watched as Kenshiro and Yuria walked toward the setting sun, Kokuoh following in their wake.  As if spurred by an electric jolt, Bat suddenly leapt forward reaching out and cried, "Ken!"

With a sharp tug, Lin grabbed his sleeve and pulled him back.

"No, Bat!  We promised we wouldn't follow them."

"Lin..."

"But I believe... I believe we'll see Ken again someday."

The two watched as their distant forms disappeared in the fading light on the horizon.