i.

Past.

The sky was blanketed in hues of blue and yellow the day she met Mist.

The glittering crunched under her talons as she raced across the white covered landscape, dazzling to look at, like a million, bright, tiny stars. So many stars that you couldn't see the void of the night sky that stretched across the sky.

The young Icewing princess proudly clutched the letter in her talons, excited to be given such a vital task. Alaska's wings were half open as she headed towards the palace, passing half hidden houses covered with snow and ice. Deciding that it'd be faster, Alaska leapt into the air and spread her pale gray wings, the light from the sun filtering through the membranes and adding a yellow glow. The sun had moved on from its throne in the high point of the sky, taking a seat halfway down. It was still plenty of light.

The Icewing landed gracefully onto the ground once she reached the palace, the guards situated at the front moving aside one they acknowledged her presence. The formality definitely wasn't needed.

In fact, being treated so differently was so strange.

She never got in trouble at school, though she clearly wasn't anywhere near the standards for a dragonet. 'Far too rambunctious,' her teachers would constantly say. Alaska sighed a little, and small cloud of steam puffing out into a cloud. She stepped into the castle, shaking bits of snow off her wings.

The palace was made of almost pure ice, though thick enough that one couldn't see properly through the walls. Alaska quietly walked down the hall, stopping briefly to grab a small light orb. The gift of light. She carried it awkwardly as she walked, still amazed at the sights around her, despite the fact she'd lived there for her entire 4 year life.

She stuck to the main halls, headed down it towards the throne room. He mother would definitely be in here. Queen Cold was constantly having different meetings with her council and advisors; hopefully she'd be free at this moment. Alaska grasped the silver door handle and creaked it open, peeking her snout inside to check if anything major was going on. She didn't want to intrude.

The throne room was definitely the kingdom's proudest structure. With carefully carved walls and curved roof how could one not be at least a little proud? Pillars of ice too thick they appeared like marble connected the roof and floor. Carpets of white and blue covered the floor. Arching windows of clear and coloured ice casted images of flying dragons and moons onto the floor.

The throne.

A large, opaque seat covered in the whitest furs of the arctic foxes that roamed the land. It was lovingly carved by Icewing talons, with climbing ivy and halos of grooves etched into the smooth surface. Diamond and quartz were fitted into spots all around it, adding an extra glimmer to the elegant throne, adding an air of beauty to the dragon that sat atop it.

"Mother?" Alaska murmured quietly, getting the attention of the almost pure white Icewing adorned with jewels, topped off with a glittering crown of sapphires and silver. Queen Cold glanced up from the scroll she was looking over with another Icewing, one of her advisors. Slush. Her mother's dark blue gaze narrowed at the interruption, showing her displeasure with a flick of her tail. Alaska gave her mother a small bow, careful not to drop the light nor the scroll.

"I thought I told you not to interrupt. Can't you see I'm busy?" The queen pointed out, gesturing to the scroll with a talon. It tilted enough for Alaska to spot the edges of the map of Phyrria. She sighed, leaning her elbow against the armrest of the chair. "Yes, Princess Alaska?" Her mother questioned cooly, drawling out her words in a bored tone. "What is it?"

Alaska quickly grabbed the scroll from underneath her wing, placing the glowing orb she previously held onto the floor. She headed towards her mother, hobbling a little as she could only use three legs. "I was informed by to give you this from a guard this afternoon. General Blizzard, I think?" She held the rolled up scroll out with a talon towards the two once she neared.