+ p a r t o n e: 2 +

People say first impressions matter but I don't think Jamie knew that because if I thought of judging him by that, I would never have spoken to him again.

But that was something about James. He just had a way of worming his way into people's hearts. Mine, not excluded.

I was in the bus, my headphone on. I barely ever listened to music with lyrics, just instrumentals. I liked to experiment with them even though I'd never say I was good at it.

But I wasn't that day. My eyes were on the window of the bus. I was wondering when I would be able to not have a scowl on my face. When I'd be able to walk on the road without having to look like someone kicked me in my vagina even though I'm not sure it'd hurt as much as my face made it seem.

I gave up eventually when the bus reached my stop and got down hurriedly, letting out a small sigh when I realized there was nothing I could do about it. I'd rather just keep frowning.

That was until someone tapped me on my shoulder.

I didn't turn immediately. I was wondering why anyone would touch someone who was closing their ears, it was obvious they didn't want to disturb anyone.

So when I turned, my hand removing my headphones, I didn't expect my frown to go away immediately.

He had brown hair and eyes. There was obvious innocence in them and maybe—

Maybe I didn't want those eyes to look at my angry ones and get tainted.

His hands were out, my house keys dangling in them. "You dropped this."

I kept my eyes on his face as I took it. Not bothering to say thank you as he looked back at the now empty road. The bus was gone and he was looking at the road with a confused look on his face.

Usually, I hated people. I stayed away from them. Father knew and though he didn't know why, he had given up in trying to make me relate with people.

It never ended well.

And yet, yet I was staring at this enigma infront of me. An urge to study him coming up as I said, "You don't live around here."

It wasn't a question. I knew that. He knew that and he just looked at me, maybe surprised I had spoken to him before he nodded and gave a small chuckle. "Yeah."

Stupid. That was what I thought. Only a stupid person would run out to give someone their keys when they had no idea where they were and not ask for their number.

But if anyone decided to go back to my previous history, you'd see I had a thing for stupid people. "You can come stay in my house. Another bus wouldn't be here for an hour and my parents went to visit a sick friend so they wouldn't be home for a while."

He was already shaking his head, I could already tell his words. He didn't want to bother.

So I just walked to him, held his hands and pulled him to my house.

He followed.

We both said nothing till we got there, entering while I went to get a cup of tea for him. He seemed to look around before he sat and I gave him the tea.

He just gave a small thank you and took it. Then he looked at my picture, my baby picture and said, "You have a really pretty sister m"

And it happened. There was a small crack on the hate and anger that was on my face as a small smile came to it. "That's me."

He looked bewildered now. "You're a girl?"

Oh, he didn't know? Well, considering the fact I hated my long hair and always hid it under a baseball cap as I was now, I did look like a boy.

I took it off, my long hair stopped somewhere past my waist, it wasn't allowed to cut our hair and so I let it grow though I hid it.

His eyes followed me as I raked a hand through it, they didn't have that look that boys had when boys saw me.

When they knew I had potential boobs because of my hair.

He just looked at the length of the hair and seemed really surprised it could be that long.

"Do you want to touch it?" I asked.

Why did I ask that? I don't know, but he kept looking at it like it was a lollipop he would like to take.

I was a bit curious to see what would happen if I gave him that lollipop.

"I can?" He asked, "I mean, I don't—"

I took his hand again. That eventually became our habit later on. Me leading him to do things he was never sure of.

I placed his hand on my hair. Awe filling his face as he ran it through it. I wanted to know why he could do that. Why he could look so happy about something so simple.

After that, we avoided one another and then when an hour was gone, he walked out the house.

I didn't follow him to the stop. I just stared as he mixed up with the people on the road. Then after that, I pushed him out of my head.

He didn't have my number and I was too tired to go find someone whose name I didn't even know so I forgot him.

It was five months after that I saw Jamie again.