Beck Meets the Father

How are you so beautiful?" asks Beck as he caresses her face. They are laying in his RV, under his covers, legs tangled, listening to the sound of the other's heartbeat.

"What?" Jade asks calmly, lifting her head from his chest.

"I said," Beck repeats, "how are you so beautiful?"

"I heard you, I just didn't understand the question," Jade furrows her eyebrows.

"Do you understand it now that I've said it again?" Beck asks jokingly.

"Not really. I don't have a choice in how I look. I just look how I look. I didn't do anything. I was just born like this," Jade tells him matter of factly.

"But you're not beautiful because of how you look," says Beck.

"That makes absolutely no sense," she scoffs, her mood shifting from love to irritation very quickly. "Quit trying to be so fucking philosophical."

"I'm not!" He laughs.

"Well what makes me beautiful?" she asks.

"Everything," Beck tells her. He couldn't help it. He could help looking at the way her piercing blue eyes shone with passion and the way her raven colored hair framed her pale porcelain skin. She was captivating. She was absolutely positively beautiful.

The only problem was, Jade didn't recognize her own beauty. Beck thinks it has to do with the way Jade's father treats her. He insults her, and her mother insults her as well. Beck thinks that's the reason why Jade always acts jealous toward him: she's insecure he's going to leave her.

Beck remembers when he first met Jade's father. It was completely an accident. Jade's parents are much different than Beck's. Beck's parents are present in his life: jade's parents aren't really present in hers. Beck was aware of Jade's hatred toward her parents. Mostly, she hated her father.

About three weeks into dating, during the eighth grade, the year they met, Beck was with Jade in her house. They were practicing for one of Sikowitz's plays they had just received roles in: husband and wife.

Jade had told Beck that no one was home; no one was ever home.

As Beck was saying his line, the front door slammed open.

"Jadelyn! I'm home!" Beck had heard a deep voice yell angrily. Beck had noticed the way the spark in Jade's eyes had vanished the second she had heard her father's voice.

Jade waited for her father to address her.

"Jadelyn. Who's this?" Her father said, pointing to Beck.

"This is Beck. My boyfriend."

"I see."

Beck could feel Jade's father's glare on the both of them.

"Do you attend Hollywood Arts as well?"

"Yes Sir. I do," Beck replied. That earned him a growl.

"Don't tell me your dream is to become an actor as well, son," her father laughed.

"Well, yes, actually it is."

"Why are you dating Jadelyn? She's a whore just like her mother," Mr. West said dismissively.

"Excuse me Sir, but I don't think you're supposed to talk to your own daughter like that," Beck advised.

"Lets just go upstairs," Jade suggested, suddenly dragging Beck by his arm with her into her room.

"Why is your Dad so... Uh..."

"Why is he an asshole?" Jade filled in, drawing a nod.

"He hates my guts. He hates me and my mother. He hates all my dreams. He wanted to me take over his business but I told him I wouldn't do it last year."

"Ah."

That was the first moment Beck got a glimpse into the West family tree.

The man was so rude to his daughter. Surely it was Jade's father's fault for Jade's tough facade as well as her extreme insecurities.

Beck knew he couldn't repair Jade's relationship with her father. That was something Jade had to do on her own.