11 | The Calm

Disclaimer: I do not own this, nor am I profiting off the display of this story in any way.

First thing Friday morning, Draco made his way to the library where he knew he'd find his father going over the catalogue. For as long as he could remember, Lucius spent his Friday mornings organising and reviewing the vast Malfoy library. His father prided himself on how extensive the family collection was. Lucius would then spend the afternoons perusing the bookshops in Diagon Alley, looking for anything to add to the library. The familiarity of the routine reassured Draco somewhat after the upheaval of the last few months. It was good to know that some things never changed.

"Father?" he called.

"Here," came the reply and he headed towards the back, finding Lucius in the Transfiguration section.

"Draco, what can I do for you?"

"Astoria left yesterday."

"Yes, I know. The house-elves informed me. I've adjusted the wards accordingly and she can't return without seeking entry."

Draco nodded a little absently at that. The uneasy feeling in his stomach hadn't dissipated over-night. In fact, if anything, it had grown. It didn't help that his dreams had all featured a vengeful Astoria, managing to make his life hell.

Lucius stopped what he was doing and Draco felt his eyes boring into him. "What's wrong, Son? Shouldn't you be happy that you've finally gotten rid of her?"

"Well... yes, I am, but there's something I just can't put my finger on."

"What do you mean?"

"She was too happy to be going. I know her ambitions too well to settle for the idea that she knows when she's been beaten. She's fooled me once before and I can't help but think that's she's done it again."

His father threw back his head and laughed. "Draco, you're too suspicious for your own good. I'm not going to say that you don't have reason to be with your past, but this time you've nothing to be worried about."

"It was too easy, Dad."

"That's because we made sure she had no room to manoeuvre. I threatened Cadmus with what would happen if Astoria didn't go through with the divorce quickly and quietly. As predicted, he had no desire to lose his position in society."

"But, you see, I don't buy that. Cadmus has tried to get Astoria to do things in the past and she's flat out refused."

"Come on, Draco, she's a smart girl and she knows when she's been beaten."

"That's the thing. She is intelligent and she uses it ruthlessly to get what she wants."

"Are you seriously suggesting that a silly little chit of a girl managed to play me at my own game and won?"

Draco pulled his bottom lip between his teeth and pondered this. "I just have a feeling about it."

His father clapped him on the shoulder and gave him an amused look. "I think your mother's right. You need to get out and have more fun. You're starting to let pessimism rule your life."

"Maybe you're right," Draco replied, muttering.

"What are you doing today?"

"I've got a series of meetings set up from eleven o'clock this morning, culminating with an appointment with Horatio at six this evening."

"You work too hard. Cancel the meetings, go out, and see Pansy and Adrian. I bet they'll be pleased to know that Astoria is history."

"I can't. I've had these arranged for ages and you know what the Minister's like. He gets so tetchy if anything is cancelled on him."