1-18 Broken Wings

Lilly trotted over a hill just as the sun began to peel away the dominion of the night. Ayawa saw her before the others and quickly alerted them that she was back. Lilly was surprised to find them so soon, but Ayawa explained that she was concerned Lilly's return would cause some alarm. She followed Lilly's tracks for several miles and waited in the countryside under a tall willow to avoid anyone seeing her. Hopefully, they would be safe from prying eyes long enough for Lilly to change back.

Lilly came right up to the group and carefully knelt so they could help Gersius off her back. He was still hurting from the injuries and went directly into Thayle's care. She inspected the lumps on his head and announced that while it was painful, it wasn't serious. She was sure her healing could manage it and began a little song while putting her hands to his head.

With Gersius in hand, Lilly looked to Ayawa, who had her clothes, and directed her to go behind the tree. Lilly moved away and quickly began her transformation, changing back in a flash of light before walking to Ayawa, who looked concerned.

"What's the matter?" Lilly asked.

"Your eyes are the matter," Ayawa snapped as she handed Lilly her clothes. "They burning like blue fires again."

Lilly paused to hold a hand close to her face and see the light reflected in her palm. She never used the human form before she met Gersius and had no idea her eyes glowed afterward. She tried to explain it to Ayawa and insisted the glow would fade in a little less than a day.

"We have to pass through a town to get on a boat," Ayawa sighed. "If your hair was enough to draw attention, I can't imagine what those eyes will do."

"There is nothing I can do about it," Lilly argued as she struggled to fit the leather bracing around her chest. "Oh, why do you humans wear these stupid things?" she complained.

"Here, let me help you," Ayawa grumbled and turned Lilly around to tie the straps for her. She pulled the lacing tight and helped Lilly adjust it as she admonished her for being brave.

"I just wanted to help him," Lilly replied and pulled out her necklace and handed it to Ayawa.

"That's twice now you have saved him. We are all your debt," Ayawa added as she latched the necklace around Lilly's neck.

"I did it for Gersius," Lilly said as she glanced back. "He saved my life."

"Yes, he did," Ayawa agreed. "And now you have saved his."

Lilly wasn't sure what the woman was getting at, but she was far more interested in Gersius. She peeked around the tree to see he was standing in the road with Tavis and Thayle. Hoping they were far enough away, she turned to Ayawa to ask a question.

"Do you know Gersius well?" she asked.

"I do," Ayawa replied with a nod. "We have known each other for many years. Tavis and I have been scouts for several of his missions and military campaigns. We have accompanied him on many of his more secret missions as well. I wish he had thought to include us on this one."

"I am worried about him," Lilly said as she straightened her dress. "He used to sing to his god every morning, but he no longer does. He was injured when I freed him but refused to call for healing. I asked him why but he said he didn't want to talk about it."

"Gersius is having a conflict of faith," Ayawa said and handed Lilly a boot. "He was betrayed by his brothers and wonders why Astikar allowed it to happen. He is trying to understand what it all means and refuses to go before his god with a heart full of anger."

"But his faith is everything to him," Lilly countered. "Even in the short time I have known him, I can see that."

"You are right; it is everything to him. That is why this particular pain is tormenting him so," Ayawa agreed and handed her the other boot. "He won't go before Astikar until he has had time to think and make up his mind as to who to blame. I only pray that he doesn't put the blame at Astikar's feet, but where else could he place it?"