Episode 41: The Final Countdown

LET'S CATCH YOU UP TO SPEED...

"I'm Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog, a student on my path toward becoming a pro hero! Bustin' outta jail was no problem! And I found Shadow too! I almost had him, but we ran out of time and Eggman blew up the whole island. Now he's got another one of those Chaos Drives. If he gets the last one, who knows what'll happen."

Several years ago, onboard the Space Colony Ark, Professor Gerald Robotnik is standing in front of a glass containment unit with his very young granddaughter, Maria.

Gerald: Maria, I'd like to finally show you what I've been working on. The Ultimate Lifeform... the perfect hero. I based him off of that other infant hedgehog I'd worked on and helped recover. The child had an immensely powerful quirk and so much untapped potential but... I thought it'd be cruel to use him as a guinea pig, being that he wasn't mine, so I replicated his DNA for my own creation. And after intensive study of the Number 1 Hero's quirk, I've managed to replicate that power as well. 

Maria: Wow! So he's the top-secret project?

He puts his arm around his granddaughter's shoulder.

Gerald: Indeed. He'll protect you. Stay by your side, always. And he's the key toward curing you.

Maria: Does he have a name?

Gerald: Now that you mention it, I haven't thought of a name ye-!

Maria: Well let's call him Shadow! I think it's a great name!

Gerald: Shadow, eh? Because of his dark body? Though... doesn't that sound like the name of a bad guy?

Maria: Not at all! It's a good name because... darkness is darkness no matter where it goes. But a shadow shows the way to the light!

Gerald: Well then, Shadow it is I suppose.

Maria turns and looks at the hedgehog in the glass, smiling.

Maria: I can't wait to meet you, Shadow

The scene then shifts to a few years later. Shadow is standing in front of a window looking down at the planet below him when an older Maria comes running in.

Maria: Shadow? Shadow! There you are! I was wondering where you ran off too!

Shadow: Just taking a look outside.

Maria looks out the window to see the earth glowing bright blue.

Maria: Yeah, it is a pretty great view after all. Never gets old even after all this time.

The two of them sit there for a moment just taking it all in.

Maria: Shadow, what do you think it's like on earth?